Tuesday, Oct. 1

Tribute band covers Queen

Gary Mullen and the Works play one-night show

Electrifying guitar solos, belting out notes at the top of the scales and high-powered performances are common occurances for Gary Mullen and the Works.\nThe UK-based band is planning to rock the Indiana University Auditorium stage at 8 p.m. Thursday with their tour “One Night of Queen.” The tour is a tribute to the legendary rock band Queen.\n“It’s not a musical, it’s a rock and roll show,” lead singer Gary Mullen said. “It’s basically a tribute to Freddie Mercury and Queen and it’s all for rock and roll.”\nMullen, a UK native, has been a Queen fan since childhood. He says playing Mercury on stage is a lifelong passion realized.\n“I’ve always been passionate about Queen’s music,” he said. “Now I get to be my hero on stage about two hours a night; it’s a pretty cool job.”\nMullen landed the gig after his wife and family applied for him to be on UK’s television series “Stars In Their Eyes” in 2000.\n“I didn’t even know I was going to be on the show,” Mullens said with a laugh, “but they knew my dreams and I won.”\nThe fairy-tale story is now a dream come true, with the happily-ever-after being a high-energy rock tribute show. The shsow began in the UK, touring to audiences numbering more than 10,000. Now the tour has come to the United States, with shows all across the country throughout March and April, with the battle cry of “We Will Rock You America!”\nThe IU Auditorium employees are excited to host the tribute.\n“The band and production recreate the excitement and atmosphere of a live Queen concert to unmatched perfection,” said Doug Booher, director of the IU Auditorium. “These songs will live on for years to come thanks to their impact on the music scene and the amazingly true performance of Gary Mullen and his band.”\nMullen agreed, saying, “Rock and roll will never die.”\nTickets for the show 8 p.m. Thursday night are available through the IU Auditorium Web site at www.iuauditorium.com.