Tuesday, Oct. 1

Around the Arts

‘MFA II’\nWhen: Noon to 4 p.m., today through April 19\nWhere: Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts, SoFA Gallery\nMore info: Works created by graduating Master of Fine Arts students from various studio areas will be on display. Students exhibiting in the SoFA Gallery will give gallery talks about their work at noon on the Friday of their opening reception. Selected works will be available to purchase. The exhibit is free and open to the public.

Juried Art Show 2008\nWhen: 2 to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. The is exhibit open through July 25.\nWhere: Morrison Hall, 3rd floor\nMore info: The Kinsey Institute’s third annual Juried Art Show features photographs, sculptures, paintings, prints and mixed media pieces submitted by an international group of contemporary artists exploring themes related to sex, gender, eroticism, reproduction, sexuality, romantic relationships and the sensual human figure. Admission is free. Visitors should be 18 years of age or older, unless accompanied by a parent or guardian. \n \n‘A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum’ \nWhen: 7:30 p.m. April 17-19\nWhere: Ruth N. Halls Theatre in the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center\nMore info: Comedic play “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” is a collaborative effort by composer Stephen Sondheim and writers Burt Shevelove and Larry Gelbart. Tickets are $10 for students. Tickets are available at www.theatre.indiana.edu or 812-855-1103. \n

Awkward Silence Comedy \nWhen: 9 p.m. today\nWhere: State Room East, Indiana Memorial Union \nMore info: A staple of the vibrant comedy community at IU, Awkward Silence is an improv troupe that works exclusively from suggestions and interactions with its audience. The event is free and open to the public.

Selected Coptic Textiles from Ancient Egypt\nWhen: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. The exhibit is open through Spring 2009.\nWhere: IU Art Museum Gallery of the Art of the Western World, first floor\nMore info: Nearly 100 years ago, more than 150 textiles – dating from the third to the twelfth centuries and spanning late Roman, early Byzantine and early Islamic times – were unearthed from shallow burials in the sandy soils of Egypt. The examples included in this “New in the Gallery” installation have not been on display since 1999 and are being reintroduced to complement the Middle Eastern Arts Festival organized by IU’s Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies program. The IU Art Museum is free and open to the public.