Tuesday, Oct. 1

Belly dance birthday benefits charity

Ted Somerville

Cheers pierced through a thunderous applause Sunday as a group of brightly-clad belly dancers moved away from the stage at Max’s Place. \nAbout 50 people gathered at the Bloomington bar Sunday for an evening of belly dancing, the third annual Hatije’s Hafla, benefitting Middle Way House. The band Salaam provided music for the several belly dancing troupes performing at the event. \nDuring the event, organizer Margaret Squires took the mic.\n“If you have had at least one lesson from Donna (Barbrick) Carlton, raise your hand in the air,” she said, referring to an IU instructor and belly dancer.\nA fury of hands darted into the air, and people with blue hair, jeweled faces and chunky necklaces exchanged smiles. It seemed everyone at the event already knew each other. \nThe event was a birthday party for herself, Squires said. It is the third time she has celebrated her birthday with a belly dancing benefit. \n“I always wanted to have a birthday party with Salaam and I wanted to do a benefit for Middle Way, and that’s how the idea was born,” Squires said.\nLast year, the benefit raised about $450 for Middle Way House. The money raised goes to staff salaries as well as building funds for a new project and renovations of a second house for Middle Way House.\n“They are very happy to have a birthday fundraiser; we have an incredible staff and they don’t get very much money,” said Alice Dobie-Galuska, belly dancer and member of the Middle Way House board. “There’s lots of different costs in business, and large portions of that budget come from fundraising.” \nThe cause motivates people to come, but belly dancing becomes the hook to draw them to this unusual event, attendees said. The group Salaam, also has a fan base.\n“It’s an interesting thing to have in a place like Bloomington, in a bar drinking beer and listening to good Middle Eastern music,” said Burcu Bakioglu, an assistant instructor in IU’s comparative literature department. “It’s an interesting way to raise awareness of social problems we have and raise awareness of other cultures, and it beats the hell out of a silent auction.”