Tuesday, Oct. 1

Cornhole tournament to be held Saturday

Funds will be matched, donated to AIDS relief

Twenty or more cornhole boards will be set up this Saturday in Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union for a cornhole tournament. The tournament will be held from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday. IU Lutheran Campus Ministries will host the event. \n“We just wanted to do something on campus that appealed to students that would be different,” said Jeff Schacht, campus minister of IU Lutheran Campus Ministries. “We got the idea after seeing who knows how many people playing cornhole on their lawns.”\nAll of the money raised from the cornhole tournament will be donated to the Keep a Child Alive fund. This fund provides medicine, support and care for children and families in Africa that have been affected by the HIV/AIDS virus, according to its Web site, keepachildalive.org.\nFor every $2 made at the fundraiser, the company Thrivent Financial will provide $1 as matching funds, said Kelli Skram, pastor of IU Lutheran Campus Ministries. This Fortune 500 company often supports nonprofit organizations with matching funds.\n“It increases incentives to raise money,” she said.\nThe Student Advocacy Team will also be attending the event, with a table set up full of information about the ONE campaign, an international campaign to get the U.S. to give 1 percent of its budget to underdeveloped countries, Skram said. \nEarly registration for the event has already begun on the Ministry’s Web site, www.indiana.edu/~lutheran/, but the official registration begins at 11 a.m. Saturday. Originally there was going to be a $30 fee for registration, but now it has changed to simply whatever the participant wishes to give as a donation, Skram said. A donation basket will likely be set up at the door to collect fees, and students can register to play all the way up to the beginning of the tournament.\nThe tournament will have other games, some of which remain a surprise.\n“We’re working on getting some Wii going,” senior and peer minister Stephen Amundson said. “We’re going to have some challenges, too. If you want to have a grudge match, you can have one for like, a dollar.”\nThe event will have food and music, and winners will receive prizes. All participants will get a free T-shirt. \n“Everyone who plays will get something,” Skram said.