Sunday, Oct. 13

Gov. Daniels: College could become more affordable

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels’ proposal to increase financial aid for in-state students might not have an impact on the IU-Bloomington campus.\nDean of Students Dick McKaig said the plan might not have as big an impact because of the attention IU has already given to lower-income families.\n“It looked like the money was intended for families of lesser income, and IU took steps to address some of that need,” he said. “It could be that it would have less impact on students enrolling at Indiana University-Bloomington.”\nOn April 16, Daniels proposed that the state pay for two years of Ivy Tech tuition. His proposal would also pay for two years of tuition at any other Indiana institution for any Indiana high school graduate whose family earns up to the state’s median income of $54,000 per year, according to a press release.\nThe plan is in response to Indiana’s extremely low percentage of adults with a bachelor’s or associate’s degree, Daniels said.\n“The gap between the jobs looking for workers in Indiana and the skill levels of the workers we have today is widening,” Daniels said at an April 16 higher education conference, according to an MP3 file on the governor’s Web site. “I view that as an opportunity.\n“I believe two things can happen if we take a step like this. First of all, we’ll go directly at the biggest challenge facing the Indiana of tomorrow to dramatically change the percentage of our adults who have training and post-secondary skills.”\nIU trustee Sue Talbot said Indiana needs to raise the number of people attending higher-education institutions.\n“One of the most effective issues of this announcement is the attention Gov. Daniels has brought to the need for increased access for all young people to higher education,” she said. “Indiana has a dismal record of post-high school graduates.”\nIU Spokesman Larry MacIntyre said he hopes Daniels will continue to move forward with this plan.\n“I think Indiana University and President McRobbie strongly support initiatives that would make higher education more affordable for Hoosiers,” he said. “President McRobbie has been doing a number of things to make it more affordable. This proposal is worth keeping with the direction President McRobbie is moving.”\nDaniels has not yet announced how he intends for the state to pay for this proposal.\n“There are a number of details to be worked out, and his staff will be meeting with experts to talk about those details,” MacIntyre said. “There’s a number of grant programs that would already be available to students and that will have to be taken into account.”\nThough his proposal is still in the planning stage, Daniels said he believes in it.\n“We have it in our power; I’m convinced. I need your help to make it real,” he said. “We can do this with your assistance and that of your fellow citizens.”