Tuesday, Oct. 1

‘Hammer and Nail’ nails performance

The fusion of dance and music through student collaboration reigned in the Buskirk-Chumley Theater during “Hammer and Nail 2008” at 7 p.m. Sunday.\nWith the final performance, the collaboration between the student composers from the Jacobs School of Music and choreographers for the Health, Physical Education, and Recreation Department’s Contemporary Dance Program conveyed the self-expression of student participants. \n“With many different perspectives and dances, I think there’s at least one piece that each audience member enjoyed whether it was because of the dancing or the music,” said sophomore and dance major Andranise Baxter.\nStudents from HPER and student composers from the Jacobs School of Music came together to collaborate on the performance. The creative pairings resulted in 15 new and forceful pieces. \n“We had auditions two weeks after our faculty concert, and started rehearsing in January,” Baxter said. “Rehearsals were intense.”\n“Spirei,” choreographed by Lauren Weber, included choral singing as the display of leg extensions and the fluid movement swept across the floor. \nThe performance then transitioned into “Divine Light,” which gives the opposite disposition of the previous piece. Dancers crept across the floor to the xylophone music. \n“This piece keeps me deeply engaged,” said sophomore Stephanie Woods. “It keeps you wanting to know what will happen next because the music keeps you on the edge of your seat.”\n“Acutely Chronic Dances” took the audience by storm with its funky, quirky vibe accompanied by horns. The brightly colored work-out outfits played a large role in the piece that included aerobics, Pilates and stretching. \n“I love this dance because of its quirkiness,” said freshman Maurice Evans. “The movement is so upbeat. It makes you want to move.” \nEvans was one of about 400 people in attendance for the third annual show.