Sunday, Oct. 13

Hoosiers, Campillo take 1st place in Missouri

IU leaves with UMB Bank-Mizzou Tiger Classic title

Whether it’s rain or shine, the No. 24 men’s golf team knows how to win.\nThe Hoosiers captured a first-place victory in the UMB Bank-Mizzou Tiger Classic Monday and Tuesday. IU shot a total 881 in the three rounds, beating the other \n10 teams. \nJunior Jorge Campillo took first place, winning by three strokes, his fourth career tournament title. Campillo shot a 4-under-par in the three rounds at The Club at Old Hawthorne. Campillo led after two rounds with a score of 138 and continued his dominance through the third round by shooting even par.\nIU coach Mike Mayer said Campillo’s victory was instrumental in winning the tournament. \n“Jorge was due for a good tournament,” he said. “He continued to play well in the third round. It was nice to get an individual win with Jorge and it’s always good to get the team victory.”\nAfter the first two rounds of the tournament, the Hoosiers sat in first place, eight strokes in front of No. 39 Arkansas. IU shot 6-under-par in the second round after shooting a 294 in the first round.\n“In the second round, we got off to an outstanding start,” Mayer said. “We were playing an exceptional round.”\nThe team moved into the third round looking to finish in first place, and that’s exactly what they did by shooting a 301 on Tuesday. \nThe weather conditions, however, were extremely bad for the first part of the day, bringing some difficulty to the golfers. Sophomore Alex Martin said the conditions were the worst he has seen.\n“The first six holes of the third round were the toughest we’ve had all year,” Martin said. “With rain and 15 to 20 miles per hour (wind), at that point it was not a matter of how well you were playing golf but how well you kept up your game.”\nMayer agreed, but added that the Hoosiers took advantage of a break in the weather.\nIU is coming off of the adidas Hoosier Invitational where the third round was canceled due to inclement weather. The score was totaled after the first two rounds and the Hoosier finished fourth in the home tournament.\nThis is the Hoosiers’ second team title of the 2008 pursuit, and is Mayer’s 12th team victory in his 10 years at IU. The Hoosiers have taken the first place honors in two of their last three tournaments.\nIU’s next tournament will be at Purdue for the Boilermaker Invitational. \n“We are on the pace we want to be on,” Martin said. “This was good for our own self esteem.”