Saturday, Oct. 12

IU hockey club nets 2 postseason awards

Senior forward named division MVP by ACHA

IU senior forward and team captain Dan Karlander was a month removed from his team’s surprising run to the national championship when he received another pleasant surprise this week. \nThe American Collegiate Hockey Association named Karlander the national Division II Most Valuable Player on Sunday. His accomplishments this season include being named to the All-Tournament first team during the ACHA National Championship and leading IU in scoring for the third consecutive year. \nKarlander moved into second place all-time for IU hockey in scoring, finishing his career with 231 points. He scored 67 points this season.\n“It’s definitely an honor,” Karlander said. “I didn’t really think that I was going to get it. I was hoping to get first team All-American, but to get (Most Valuable Player) was definitely exciting. Having been playing hockey for 19 years, it’s something kind of rewarding after all the hours and all I’ve put into it.”\nKarlander credited his teammates for their support and said he would have preferred to have gotten the national championship but said this year was the most exciting he’s had playing hockey. Along with the team’s run, Karlander also played with the ACHA Division II’s Select Team that traveled across Europe during winter break.\n“For this year, that trip we made to Florida for the tournament I believe was the most fun I’ve ever had on a hockey trip,” he said. “It was something that I was proud of and that’s definitely what I want to take away from this season.”\nAlong with earning the MVP award, Karlander was named a first team academic All-American. \nKarlander was not the only IU player to be honored this week. \nSenior defenseman Matt Henderson was named to the Southeast Regional’s first team after his first year playing defense. After 15 years of playing forward, Henderson switched positions at the beginning of the season to help out the team. The switch also improved his own play, coming off last season when he only scored two points.\n“It’s always nice to get noticed,” Henderson said. “But first and foremost, without the team and without my defensive partner (senior) Brad Kirchner and everyone else out there, I wouldn’t have had the year I had.”