Sunday, Oct. 13

IU holds Sycamores to 1 run in 4-1 win

The IU softball team (11-26) took out the Indiana State Sycamores 4-1 on Wednesday as junior pitcher Monica Wright continued her dominance against non-Big Ten Conference opponents.\nWright won her fourth consecutive game against a non-conference team to improve her record to 8-10 on the year. Wright pitched a complete game, allowing seven hits and one run and struck out six. \n“Today we played really well,” said junior shortstop Emily Bergeson, who went 2-for-2 and drove in two RBIs. “Everything clicked.”\nSenior catcher Tory Yamaguchi agreed that the win was a result of teamwork. \n“This was a fun game and good team win,” she said. “We had good pitching and defense. We also were able to move the runners over and get them in.”\nOn the offensive side, the Hoosiers got help from the top of their lineup. The first five Hoosier hitters went a combined 7-for-15 with three runs scored and four RBIs.\n“We had timely hitting today,” said IU coach Stacey Phillips. “We had multiple-hit innings, which was really good. Our three and four hitters did what you want them to do. They went pretty much by the books, knocking in two RBIs each.”\nBergeson and Yamaguchi hit in the No. 3 and 4 spots, respectively. Yamaguchi got the scoring started in the fourth inning when she doubled to left field and drove in Bergeson and junior second baseman Julie DiNallo. Bergeson picked up the scoring in the fifth, singling to center field to send senior center fielder Julia Hamilton and sophomore right fielder Jennifer Glueckert home.\nThe Hoosiers return to Bloomington at 4 p.m. Friday to take on Big Ten opponent Ohio State at the IU \nSoftball Field.