Sunday, Oct. 13

IU looks to best slumping Buckeyes at home

Before Wednesday night’s game against Indiana State, the IU softball team had committed errors in eight straight games. Against Big Ten opponent Ohio State this weekend, the Hoosiers will look to stay error-free for a second game and begin to move out of the cellar of the Big Ten. \nThe Hoosiers (11-26, 1-7) return home today to face the Buckeyes (23-14, 2-6) at 4 p.m. at the IU Softball Field.\n“We have been working a lot on our defense,” said IU coach Stacey Phillips. “We play as if the world is on our shoulders in games which lead to our errors. In practice, we have started to put more pressure on our defense using different tactics as the girls are fielding ground balls and pop-flies.” \nAs for the Buckeyes, who were ranked in the top 25 last week, they are currently on a six-game losing streak even though they are nine games over .500. In the span, the Buckeyes have been shutout three times and have scored a total of\nseven runs. \nThis weekend is unique for the Hoosiers, in that they only have to prepare for one conference opponent when usually they have to prepare to play two different conference opponents on a \ngiven weekend. \n“It is a good thing we only have to prepare for one team,” said junior shortstop Emily Bergeson. “They are our main focus and that \nis it.” \nPhillips also agreed that only having to game-plan for one team this weekend is a plus.\n“With all the nagging injuries we have, I am pretty thankful we only have one conference team this weekend,” she said. “We should be much more comfortable only playing one team.”\nIf the Hoosiers want to continue their success after their 4-1 win against the Sycamores, Phillips said the team will have to rely senior center fielder Julia Hamilton’s ability to get on base to use her quickness. In Wednesday’s game, Hamilton went 2-for-4, scoring a run and stealing her fifth base of the season, upping her career total to 48 and putting her in sixth place all-time.\n“Our track record as a team is pretty good when she is able to get on base,” Phillips said. “With her quickness and ability to steal bases, it is important for our team to get her \non base.”\nOne player the Hoosiers will have to worry about is Ohio State catcher Sam Marder. Marder comes into play ranked in the top-three of several offensive of categories in the Big Ten. Marder boasts a .475 batting average, 11 home runs and 44 RBIs, ranking second, third and first, respectively.\nSenior catcher Tory Yamaguchi said the team’s previous approach to players of Marder’s ability has been a no-fear mentality.\n“Our strategy has always been to go straight at them and to not pitch around them,” she said. “Our pitchers will throw their best pitches, and we will see who comes out on top.”\nPhillips also said she plans to pitch to Marder, but admitted in a tight situation that pitching around Marder is the smart play.\n“We are going to pitch to her to the best of our ability,” she said. “If the game is on the line, I am not going to allow her to beat us.”