Saturday, Oct. 12

Men's tennis team to host 2 Big Ten opponents

Following its second consecutive weekend split in conference play, the No. 41 IU men’s tennis team (14-7, 4-4) will host No. 15 Michigan (17-3, 7-1) and No. 42 Penn State (14-9, 5-3).\n“They’re going to be real tough,” senior Thomas Richter said of his upcoming ranked opponents.\nThe Hoosiers traveled to West Lafayette on Saturday and dismantled their rival Purdue 6-1. After triumph came disappointing times, as IU fell to No. 17 Illinois on Sunday, 5-2.\n“It’s upsetting when you lose to a team (Illinois) that you feel you were on the same level with,” freshman Phillip Eilers said following the Hoosier loss. \nIU will look to notch two big wins in what is the final weekend of conference play. On Saturday, the Hoosiers host the Wolverines, with a scheduled start at noon. Sunday, IU welcomes the Nittany Lions to the IU varsity courts and play begins at noon.\nTheir last time out, Michigan took down Notre Dame in a 6-1 decision for their first win against the Fighting Irish in six years. Penn State had similar success in their most recent match, sweeping a talented Michigan State team 7-0.\n“Michigan is a very talented team, as is Penn State,” coach Randy Bloemendaal said. “Penn State just beat some real good teams; it’s going to be a challenge for us.” \nBloemendaal has the team working on its ball tolerance in preparation for this weekend. He is also trying to get his players to be better competitors, said freshman Santiago Gruter.\nSeniors Richter, Dara McLoughlin and Michael McCarthy, all starters, will play their final match in Bloomington wearing the cream and crimson. \nBloemendaal wants the student body to show its Hoosier spirit and come out to a match this weekend. \nThe Hoosiers have faced crowds on the road of well over 500 people, including 700-plus last weekend at Illinois, Bloemendaal said.\n“Crowds can really make the difference when you’re defending your home court,” Bloemendaal said.\nFollowing their matches this weekend, the Hoosiers will prepare for the Big Ten championships, hosted by Iowa.