Tuesday, Oct. 1

Military promotes awareness of personnel living on campus

Soccer balls, keychains and baseballs decorated with red, white and blue filled the tables manned by an eagerly awaiting representative of the National Guard. Five other tables stretched out around him in Dunn Meadow Tuesday with signs labeled “Navy” and “Support our troops.”\nAbout 10 people from at least four branches of the military – including the Army, Navy, National Guard and Marines – came together with the IU College Republicans Tuesday to show support for the men and women in the armed forces currently serving overseas.\n“We wanted to get awareness to people that our troops are still out there overseas and need our support,” said sophomore Bethann Marker, an organizer of the event from the IU College Republicans. “We’re hoping to do it each year and have it get bigger each year.”\nNavy representative Jason Tone expressed his dismay that people at IU are unaware of the many military personnel living and studying on campus.\n“It’s all about awareness,” he said. “People don’t know there’s that many of us here but we’re out there walking the streets beside you.”\nDuring the rally, members of the IU College Republicans sold pizza and cookies. They also had paper and magic markers so attendees could write letters to the troops.\n“When I had friends over there, they were really excited to get letters, even from strangers,” Marker said, adding that money raised by food sales will go to troops to buy supplies ranging from toothpaste to magazines. “It’s always nice to have something to keep them busy.”\nA bus with the slogan “My Man Mitch” sat on a side street near the rally. Although Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels did not attend, his representatives arrived in the bus, called RV1, to show support.\n“(Daniels) is up for re-election and we’re on board,” said sophomore Justin Mascari, an IU College Republicans member. \nThe troop rally in Dunn Meadow was not the first event the IU College Republicans have thrown to support those serving in the armed forces, Marker said. In December the group held an event where members worked with elementary school to make Christmas cards for the troops.\nMany people walking by seemed to think the rally was an attempt to recruit people for the armed forces.\n“I didn’t know what was going on,” said Susan Clegg, Indiana Memorial Union employee. “I actually was going to walk by until I saw the ‘support our troops’ sign.”