Tuesday, Oct. 1

Minus The Bear rocks Bluebird

Portugal, The Man, The Big Sleep open show

Kelsey Ellefson

Minus the Bear shook the walls of The Bluebird Nightclub on Tuesday night with a show promoting its new album, “Planet of Ice.” \nThe band opened with its new single “Knights.” The band mostly played songs from “Planet of Ice,” however it did play a few older songs, including “Pachuca Sunrise” from the 2001 album “Menos el Oso.”\n“It was a great show,” IU alumnus Jay McClurg said. “But I wish they would have played some more of their older stuff.”\nMinus the Bear consists of lead vocalist and guitarist Jake Snider, guitarist Dave Knudson; bassist Cory Murchy; newest member Alex Rose, who operates the synthesizer, drum machine, sings back up vocals and plays saxophone, and drummer Erin Tate. \nThe high energy show had many audience members dancing the entire time. \n“I thought they were awesome,” junior Sara Wasser said. “I had a great time and danced my butt off.”\nAt the end of Minus the Bear’s set, the band had Portugal. The Man and The Big Sleep join them on stage. The opening bands wore masks and danced around as Minus the Bear performed its last song, “Throwin’ Shapes.” \n“All the bands on tour really like each other and each other’s music,” The Big Sleep guitarist and lead vocalist Danny Barria; said. “Minus the Bear are cool enough to us to come on stage with them ... it was sort of a communal vibe.”\nAs soon as Minus the Bear finished the last song, the crowd called them back to play one more song. The band complied and played several more, including “Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse,” as the closer.\nSnider said the band’s managers require it to play “Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse” at its shows. The audience responded with screams and enthusiastic dancing as the band played the song.\nThe audience also liked opening bands Portugal. The Man and The Big Sleep. \nPortugal. The Man was scheduled to play an all-ages show at the WIUX Mansion before The Bluebird show but was unable to attend because of car trouble. \nStudents and others, such as freshman Richard Hines, were displeased they couldn’t see Portugal. The Man perform. \n“I obviously can’t be mad at anyone for how that situation worked out,” Hines said. “But I am still left quite disappointed with the night as a whole.” \nHines, who is not 21 and could not attend the concert at The Bluebird, was displeased after he had to walk over to The Bluebird to refund his ticket, and could hear Portugal. The Man playing inside. \nPortugal. The Man comprises guitarist and vocalist John Gourley; bassist and vocalist Zach Carothers; drummer Jason Sechrist; and backup vocalist Ryan Neighbors, who also plays the keyboard and percussion. \nRose-Hulman Institute of Technology senior Tim Hasler said he had a new respect for the band members after seeing them live. \nThe Big Sleep, performed their set with a mix of synthetics and heavy guitar. The band, based in Brooklyn, N.Y., consists of Barria, guitarist, keyboardist and vocalist Sonya Balchandani and drummer Gabe Rhodes. \nBarria said he enjoyed playing at The Bluebird, as it was his second performance there in the last month. \n“I like the feel,” Barria said. “It was surprising how nice people were.”\nHe said that he plans to come back to Bloomington in the future.\nThe concert at The Bluebird on Tuesday night was the band’s 10th stop on a tour that has 18 shows left, ending at Bonnaroo in mid-June.