Wednesday, Sept. 18

Not quite epochal

The Epochs

I wouldn’t be surprised if The Epochs, with their blend of catchy lyrics, pop melodies and electronic hooks find a welcoming niche in the consumerist, profit-driven music world. They will inevitably be discovered by those who listen to bands like Maroon 5, Train and The Shins. Although The Epochs have much better songwriters and more talented musicians than these bands, the songs on their eponymous album have the same familiar fetching hooks.

The excellent production and accomplished songwriting of the album is undeniable. The various combinations of electronic beats, drums, piano, guitar and bass create a quasi-ambient and enchanting musical wall that intertwines harmoniously with the vocals. This style is particularly evidenced by the feel-good anthems “Love Complete” and “Opposite Sides.”

The Epochs are at their best on the album with their down-tempo and mellow songs. “Mister Fog,” a slight departure from the style of the rest of the album, sounds almost like a TV on the Radio song with its layered vocals, laidback drumbeat and simple piano part. The song “Mouths to Feed,” another engaging track and definitely my favorite on the album, has a good mix of memorable vocals and a simplistic melody.

The Epochs know when to hold back and let the melodious hook of a song be its defining feature rather than layering complex parts over one another. I’m usually hesitant to pick up music like The Epochs, but the lyrical hook of this song (“I did not fight it and it did not hurt”) functions as the primary reason I was able to somewhat enjoy the album.

My problem with the record – and essentially my problem with most pop music – is the repetitive and often redundant lyrical hook/chorus found in every song. This wouldn’t be such a significant problem if each song wasn’t so bloody long.

Despite this, I have come to respect the album and The Epochs for embracing what they are: a pop band. The Epochs’ lyrics are not overly thematic, nor is this album particularly innovative. The Epochs, however, have striven to make a listenable brand of music that a wide audience can enjoy.