Tuesday, Oct. 1

‘People Are Still Having Sex’ party turns up the bass in a new location

3rd event gets lower attendance from rain, finals

Rain drizzled on two sharply dressed men guarding the door of the Bloomington Playwrights Project. If not for the glowing back lights from the window, passersby would have never known there was a party happening. But if they wandered inside, they would have been overwhelmed by the continuous catchy thumps of house music from the third People Are Still Having Sex dance party.\nCrowds of people swarmed the dance floor Friday night at the dance party, though attendance was down from the last two parties. Partygoers’ clothes were drenched in sweat as they grinded against one another and cheered to DJ Sleeper and IU student Alexander Pyatetsky. \n“This is the only place to get good house music,” senior Dylan Kwapy said. “You’re not going to get a DJ who takes his music seriously at Kilroy’s or Sports. Sure, you can dance to it, but there’s no art in it.”\nAlthough most people were excited about the party, others expressed their dismay at the smaller than usual turnout for the party.\n“I’ve been to all three People Are Still Having Sex parties and this is by far the weakest,” sophomore Marli Hadden said. “They thought they could raise the price because they had such a good turnout last time. They think this is L.A. or something, but they forget that it’s Bloomington.”\nThe last dance party, held at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, was a huge success with an unexpectedly large number of people attending. Pyatetsky estimated as many as 800 people attended the last party throughout the course of the night. \n“The line was all the way down the block and too cold,” Pyatetsky said. “At that time, we didn’t know what to expect. There was nothing like this, and we were unprepared.”\nPyatetsky blamed rain, dead week and the change of location for the lower turnout for this party. \n“You never know, there’s always a risk involved,” he said. “People in here are having a good time and that’s all that matters.”\nThe location changed for this party because the Buskirk-Chumley couldn’t host it.\n“People wanted another dance, but there’s no more dates left,” he said.\nOrganizers chose the Bloomington Playwrights Project because of its intimate environment, which Pyatetsky said was good for acoustics.\n“Sound is everything,” Pyatetsky said. “At the Buskirk, the sound is on stage, but when you come in here, you feel it as soon as you come in. It’s much more like a club.”\nThis time Pyatetsky and friends organized the party on their own without any help from a place such as the Buskirk.\n“It’s a lot more from scratch this time,” he said. “Everything in here is just us.”\nThe cost of setting up everything on their own without the Buskirk and bringing in DJ Sleeper from Los Angeles forced them to raise the price of the party.\n“Sleeper is a big-name DJ,” sophomore and co-coordinator Colin Rebey said. “If you posted a show for him in L.A., tickets would easily sell for $15.”