Wednesday, Oct. 2

Sen. Lugar awards $72,000 in scholarships

10 Indiana students receive money for college

In 1983, Sen. Dick Lugar set up the Fund for Hoosier Excellence, a privately financed scholarship fund benefitting minority students in Indiana. The Fund for Hoosier Excellence awarded 10 students with Lugar Scholarships this year: eight $4,000 scholarships and two $20,000 scholarships. All the students accepting the scholarships must attend a college or university in Indiana. Lugar Scholarship winners are students who have proven their excellence in academics and extracurricular activities. \n“We began this program 25 years ago to conspicuously recognize outstanding minority students, and we have witnessed the successes of a generation of Lugar Scholars,” Lugar said in a press release. “These outstanding students have been leaders in their high schools, and we hope they will continue to lead by example while attending Indiana’s colleges and universities.” \nA ceremony was held for the scholarship winners April 13 at the Marriott Hotel in Indianapolis. The scholarship winners were chosen by an impartial selection committee. \nAccording to the press release, the scholarship students have an average grade-point average of 4.08 and an average SAT score of 1298. \nAndrew Pimentel, a senior from Cathedral High School in Indianapolis, received a $20,000 scholarship.\n“I was pretty excited and a little surprised,” Pimentel said. “Everyone who applied was very qualified as well, so I was honored to receive it.”\nPimentel is the captain of his school’s football team and is also part of the National Honor Society, math league and psychology club. \nHe has also been awarded other honors including Advanced Placement Scholar and National Hispanic Scholar, among others.\nStudents had to fill out an application and write an essay on why they should receive the Lugar Scholarship. \n“I talked about some qualities Senator Lugar had and how they compared a little bit to qualities I had,” Pimentel said.\nElizabeth Uduehi, a senior at Francis Joseph Reitz High School in Evansville, received a $4,000 Lugar Scholarship.\n“It’s an honor to receive the scholarship knowing how many people applied,” Uduehi said. “My parents were very happy because my sister got the scholarship last year, so it felt really good.” \nUduehi is involved with National Honor Society and the track and field team. She was also class president and started the non-profit organization “Single Mothers Achieving Greatness.” \nUduehi and Pimentel both said their counselors approached them about applying for the scholarship.\nUduehi is still undecided on her college plans for the fall. Pimentel will attend IU in the fall. \n“I’ve loved it when I’ve visited,” Pimentel said. “From what I hear, it’s the best school ever.”