Wednesday, Oct. 2

State police to host summer camps for kids, teens

Careers in law enforcement will be discussed, explored

The Indiana State Police will hold its annual youth summer camps in June and July at campuses across the state.\nThree camp sessions will be available to children grades five through 12: Career Camp, Lions Law Camp and Respect for Law Camp. Various universities in Indiana host the camps, including Vincennes University, University of Notre Dame, University of Indianapolis, Anderson University, Hanover University and the University of Southern Indiana.\nEvery morning, campers will get up, make their beds and do physical training before they can experience the rest of the day, which includes speakers and demonstrations.\n“It really depends upon what the director has lined up regarding speakers and demonstrations,” state police youth service worker Carole Mayer said. “There will be fun activities mixed in as well.”\nMayer said the camp is a chance for particpants to be around state troopers and to see what they do. Each police specialty group comes in to show the children what its unit is all about.\nTroopers, detectives, sergeants and others have the opportunity to be directors for the camp.\n“Directors schedule their own events,” Mayer said. “There are different aspects of the state police and law enforcement in general that come in, like the canine unit.”\nChildren who participate in the camp will learn about safety, including Internet and fire safety, Mayer said.\nAs a director for the camp, In. state police Sgt. Sherri Frobetter said demonstrations will include the Explosive Ordnance Disposal bomb team, cyber safety, SWAT teams and fire safety.\n“We have such a good time,” she said. “I like being with the kids. It’s a positive experience on both sides.”\nAt the end of the camp, campers will have a graduation ceremony where they can show what they have learned, Mayer said.\nAlthough each child is supposed to attend the camp for only two years, some kids come an extra year because they love it so much. \n“I went through the camp when I was in elementary school,” said former camper Jacob Greene. “This past year I helped out with the camp by keeping the campers in line and making sure they were all there.”\nGreene said his favorite part of the camp when he was a camper was when they brought the bomb squad in and the campers all got to yell, “Fire in the hole!” \n“I had a blast,” Greene said. “It was always so much fun.”\nJacob Greene’s younger brother Josiah had his first experience at camp last summer.\n“You get to bunk with your friends,” Josiah Greene said. “My favorite part was when they brought the fire truck and taught us about fires and what to do. They even sprayed water in the air.”\nBetween 700 to 800 children attend the camp every year, Mayer said. Camp fees range from $95 to $225 depending on the camp and how many days the event runs.