Tuesday, Oct. 1

Student ‘Stevie G.’ reads ‘L.I.F.E. Letters’

IU student and rapper/poet Steve Gaskin, also known as “Stevie G,” performed a two-hour series of spoken-word pieces and songs to a packed room Sunday at the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center Grand Hall for his unplugged show “So Far.”\nThe performance also featured a live band, DJ, urban art by IU junior Annysa LaMantia and “L.I.F.E. Letters,” a skit based on Gaskin’s life story. The show was co-produced and written by sophomore Elisha Cain. \n“I’ve always had a vision to do my own show,” Gaskin said. “While I was in Africa, a show came to me in a vision, and although I didn’t perform the show that was given to me, I believed that L.I.F.E. Letters was heaven-sent and believed that it was a message to get out there.”\nGaskin’s performance began with songs and spoken word pieces that gave an account of his life experiences and spiritual growth. With his cool, mellow voice and high-energy spirit, Gaskin began with his “Autobiography” where he gave a vivid representation of what it was like growing up in the slums.\n“A lot of the same experiences Stevie had, I’ve went through as well,” said Chris Tabron, an IU senior and actor in the show, “so I look at him as more of a mentor then anything.”\nGaskin continued into a prayer that he wrote when he was “rapping for the masses” in Africa and “straddling the line between the world and God.” He concluded with an array of poems about his present-day life, about a relationship lost with someone he loved, his appreciation for women and his spiritual journey now.\n“He’s a spiritual Lupe Fiasco,” IU student May Moore said. “Stevie’s performance keeps you deeply emerged while depicting his life and giving you historical and spiritual knowledge at the same time.”\nAccompanied by Chicago-style beats performed by producers Jimmy “Natural” Tabron, Dominique “Domdada” Edwards and Kris “Krissstyles” Carter, Gaskin’s performance had crowd members bobbing their heads the whole time, deeply immersed in his words.\nThe “L.I.F.E. Letters” skit depicted a conversation between Gaskin and Cain on a ride home during a Christmas Break. The two discussed their views on life by making analogies to their trip home. Beginning each scenario with “Sometimes in life,” they related the fast pace of the world to the pace of the road and fast food. They also related the signs on the road to those given in life. \nThrough the conversation, the scenarios are written into a poem book called “L.I.F.E. Letters.” At the end of the ride, they draw the conclusions, that maybe it was meant for them to have the conversation and to write it down. \n“It’s about the opportunity that life brings,” Gaskin said.