Tuesday, Oct. 1

That’s so bitchin’/rad/fetch

When one used to think of the ‘80s, one could actually laugh in disrespect at the concept of leg-warmers, “where’s the beef,” and the Flock of Seagulls hair-do. The idea of how wacko the ‘80s were had to be re-evaluated when our current youth culture was responsible for leggings, bug-eyed sunglasses and Soulja Boy. And to be honest, have you ever really sat down and listened long and hard to the lyrics of Cyndi Lauper’s “Time After Time”? \nIt’s hard to grasp the meaning of the ‘80s considering we were just starting to be born as it was reaching its peak and gradual fade into pop culture. But you have to understand that people our age were dealing with Reagan back then, so they fought back against Wall Street dominating society with the opposite force, art. Musicians like Culture Club not only created innovative music but also questioned conventional gender roles. Visual art and film started to incorporate computer technology without conforming to high-tech society. The video game began to emerge and opened up an entire new art form to American households. Some of my early memories of family involve an emerging technology or blockbuster film in the final years of the ‘80s. \nOf course, we all know what the ‘90s were like. We distinctly remember “Rocko’s Modern Life,” feminist rock and Fatboy Slim’s “Praise You.” We even have very faint memories of the First Gulf War and early rap. Because of our direct relationship with the socially radical ’90s, the era has to do little convincing to earn our admiration. We still watch “The Real World” in hopes that it will reflect “The Real World” of 1995, when the show dealt with the issue of AIDS with one of its cast members. The era subconsciously guided us through our formative years and shaped the people we have become. \nHowever, one shouldn’t count out how the ’80s has affected the way we represent ourselves as a generation. Hipster culture, current eccentric fashion styles and a rising revival in dance music all reflect artistic expressions starting in the ’80s. I challenge you to re-listen to “Too Shy” by Kajagoogoo and not give it props for how well-crafted it is. Our generation is unique and responsible for completely innovative culture and mobilized community with each other, but who knows how rebellious we could actually be if it weren’t for the ’80s?