Sunday, Oct. 13

The persevering road warriors

Ted Somerville

Following a weekend split, the No. 38 IU men’s tennis team will take on a familiar face Saturday in West Lafayette. \nThe Hoosiers (13-6, 3-3) head to No. 75 Purdue (8-10, 2-4) with a 2-0 record in Big Ten road contests this season. Their 5-2 win over Northwestern last Sunday was their first home victory in conference play. IU coach Randy Bloemendaal attributed the win to his team’s high energy.\nPurdue enters the contest following a loss to No. 41 Penn State in a 6-1 decision. The Boilermakers’ only point came in doubles play as they dropped all six singles matches.\n“It’s going to be tough to win the doubles point there,” Bloemendaal said. “They play very well at home.”\nIU has emphasized doubles play in practice this week after getting swept in doubles last weekend against Northwestern and dropping two of the last three points, Bloemendaal said. \n“I just thought we played tight in doubles and that carried over (into singles),” junior Peter Antons said.\nThe Hoosiers began the season winning 14 of 16 doubles contest. Their focus at that time had been more on ball tolerance and singles play, Bloemendaal explained.\n“We came out flat in doubles last weekend,” Bloemendaal said. “Then we came out with a lot of energy in doubles play and got it done (against Northwestern).”\nBloemendaal also has the team “practicing to win,” freshman Phillip Eilers said. \nThe Hoosiers are prepared for solid competition against their conference rival. The Boilermakers are generally known for their offense and they play tough at home, Bloemendaal said.\n“I think their style of play fits me nicely,” Eilers said. “They’re going to look for openings, but I like to run around, give that counter-punch.”\nFollowing their match against the Boilermakers, IU will head to Champaign to take on No. 16 Illinois, last year’s NCAA runner-up.\n“I feel like were stronger than everyone in the conference,” Bloemendaal said. “We’re just trying to get better.”