Saturday, Oct. 12

Georgetown guard set to transfer to IU

Indiana Rivers Basketball

Statistics be damned.\nJeremiah Rivers, a 6-foot-4-inch, 205-lb. guard from Winter Park, Fla., may have put up less than impressive numbers in his two seasons as a Georgetown Hoya, but he isn’t worried about the doubters who might have questioned IU coach Tom Crean’s decision to extend him a scholarship offer.\n“Honestly, I could care less what they think,” Rivers said in a phone interview on Tuesday. “I’m just here to play. Y’all will have to see for yourself.”\nAlthough not all of the paperwork is in, the point guard told Crean on Tuesday that he is planning to transfer to IU.\nRivers, the son of current Boston Celtics coach and former NBA player Glenn “Doc” Rivers, is best known as a defensive specialist.\nThe junior guard said he is very fast, can get to the basket well and is quick and athletic, even though his numbers might not show it.\nAs a sophomore this past season, Rivers averaged just 2.5 points, 2.4 rebounds and 1.0 assist in 18.6 minutes per game. He notched a career high nine points against Fairfield last December, while in 40 career contests against Big East competition he never tallied more than six points in any game. In two years, he hit 52.3 percent of his free throws. His career high of seven assists came as a freshman versus Belmont, while he topped out at just five this past season.\nAlthough he said he left Georgetown on “very good terms,” Rivers is hoping that playing for IU will allow him to put his strengths on display more.\n“Not a lot of people ever see (those strengths) addressed given the way (Georgetown) played, so I guess y’all can watch and see,” he said.\nRivers visited IU the weekend of the adidas May Classic, which took place May 9-11. That weekend, the Washington Times reported that Rivers was planning to enroll at IU, although the guard only recently chose the Hoosiers over Georgia Tech and Central Florida.\nIn what was his first trip to Indiana earlier this month, Rivers said he “really liked” Bloomington and IU, although he wasn’t able to meet many players due to the depleted roster, which at that point still included recently dismissed forward Brandon McGee.\n“I’ve been able to meet Devan Dumes and a few other players. They’re really great guys and I’m looking forward to developing a relationship with them,” Rivers said.\nAs players like Dumes get the chance to shine at Assembly Hall next season, Rivers will have to sit and watch on game days. Due to NCAA rules, any player who transfers is obligated to postpone their playing careers for one season. Nevertheless, he says he will contribute by providing the Hoosiers with leadership, as well as his experience playing for a winning team at Georgetown, which made it to the Final Four his first year.\n“I’ve won,” Rivers said. “...I can bring that to Indiana, most definitely, because I’ve been there,” Rivers said.\nAlthough he said he has to improve on “a lot of aspects” of his game, Rivers said he doesn’t have many goals.\n“I really just want to come and have a good team environment with Indiana and win, man,” he said. “That’s all I really want to do is win. Just come in and go to the Final Four and win Big Ten championships like everybody else.”