Wednesday, Oct. 2

Local businesses support military families through discounts

More than 45 businesses in Bloomington and Indiana give discounts, waived fees and free items to members of the military and their families through a program started by Ree Matthews, general manager of Plato’s Closet. \nMatthews and her daughter are involved with a family-readiness group in town and have met many wives whose husbands have been deployed. She and her daughter developed the idea to help out the family members by having businesses offer discounts and waive certain fees.\n“We are really trying to heighten awareness on military families that need help. Some of these people’s budgets have been cut in half when they were deployed,” Matthews said. “If you can imagine having four children and your budget cut, you need to stretch that dollar. We want to make Bloomington that town that helps.” \nMatthews is in charge of the list of all the businesses involved with the program and makes sure the list is distributed to the family-readiness groups. \nSome of the businesses involved with the program include Bloomington Hardware, Old National Bank, Iron Pit Gym, Sunkiss Tanning and Lake Monroe Village Campground and Resort. \nSandy Cicchitto, the owner of Lake Monroe Village Campground and Resort, said she was more than happy to help out when Matthews told her about the program.\n“We just donated money to get care packages out to deployed military members and marketing the local hero program with the discounts,” Cicchitto said. “Everyone that we come into contact with has someone they know or family member who has been deployed, so it’s important that the people at home support them.” \nSteve Leach, owner of Sunkiss Tanning, agreed, saying he thinks it’s excellent to help not only the soldiers but their families as well.\n“You see all the families who don’t necessarily have the financial assistance, and then you have a single parent and I don’t think a lot of people appreciate the hardships these people are going through,” Leach said. “It’s a very patriotic way to give back because we are letting them know we do appreciate their hard work.” \nMatthews said a lot of businesses offer discounts and services to military members and their dependants but are not currently on the program list. Matthews wants those businesses on the list so she is trying to advertise the program as much as possible.\n“My dream is to keep growing the list and get the list updated and out there constantly,” Matthews said. “The radio stations in Bloomington have been so great. They have given us free advertising, and the list of businesses is on their Web site. It’s so nice of them because there is no budget for this.” \nMatthews said more than 3,600 area individuals have been deployed. \n“There is not even enough coverage for people to know the magnitude,” Matthews said. “The need is there and we are just trying to encourage more businesses to get involved.” \nIf you would like to get involved with this program and be put on the list, call Ree Matthews at 333-4442, or e-mail her at reematthews@insightbb.com.