Tuesday, Oct. 1

Student organization raises $5600 for China earthquake efforts

Ten Chinese student volunteers stood outside the Sample Gates the afternoon of May 22 to ask for donations for Chinese earthquake victims. \nThe Chinese Student and Scholar Association set up areas around campus May 22 and 24, including Campus View Apartments, the Indiana Memorial Union, the Sample Gates and Ballantine Hall, where people could donate to support victims of the May 12 earthquake. In those two days, the organization raised almost $6,000.\n“Up to now, the two-week donation has raised $5,600,” said IUCSSA president Jin Yan. “I am really moved and appreciating and going to donate them all to China Red Cross through an online banking system as soon as possible.”\nVolunteers handed out leaflets to people walking by the donation sites. Most people who took a leaflet expressed concern about the earthquake and donated immediately.\n“Are they still living in tents?” asked one 17-year-old girl who was concerned about the victims displayed on a large black poster held by a Chinese volunteer.\n“Yes,” said volunteer Kuang He. “But they get saved.” \nAs of May 23, nearly 56,000 people have died as a result of the earthquake, according to China’s Information Office of the State Council. More than 20,000 people are still missing. \nAccording to the latest news from the 21st Century Business Herald in China, the Ministry of Civil Affairs has allocated nearly 400,000 tents for the victims and is still searching for possible tent suppliers to buy a million more. Within 48 hours of the earthquake, major cities’ central government reserves have been depleted. At this point, the Chinese Foreign Ministry is calling for international support.\nAs a small but friendly international community, IU has showed strong support for Chinese earthquake victims. Last week, the Leo R. Dowling International Center, Asian Culture Center and the Asian Student Union e-mailed their members asking them to aid the effors of the IUCSSA.\n“I feel encouraged,” Kuang He said.\nShe said many people donated all the cash they had, and some had to go to the ATM in order to donate more. One girl was in a wheelchair, she said, and a friend helped her get around.\nOne psychology professor would double the amount donated from psychology students, said Qiong You, IUCSSA’s secretary and Kelley School of Business student.\nShe said many professors in the School of Business are offering large donations. \n“A shuttle bus driver is getting out to donate,” Kuang He said. “He is from the Middle East and knows our efforts by reading the Indiana Daily Student.”\nQuiong You said people driving slowed down, even getting out of their cars to donate money for the cause. \nEconomics department professor Peter Olson, who donated immediately after talking to the student volunteers outside the Sample Gates, said the Chinese students represent the whole IU Chinese community very well to call for the donations.\n“They do exactly what they can do,” he says. “I like Chinese students.” \nPeng Li, a graduate student in the School of Public and Environment Affairs, skipped an interview to aid with the donation efforts. \n“It’s really impossible to evaluate how large the effect will be even though we tried our best to call for international condolence,” Peng Li said. “But we will never give up.”\nVolunteers, most of whom were graduate students, rotated their efforts between different donation sites and shifts. They hoped their efforts could raise international awareness for this human tragedy. \n“I have been pleased to see that the Chinese students who are currently on campus have united to respond to the tragedy by immediately raising funds to help the earthquake victims,” said Sandy Britton, director of the International Center, who supported IUCSSA students by offering International Center facilities. \nShe believed it was important to keep that unity and support each other emotionally as well. Britton said the tragedy is not over because the victims will continue to need help for months to come.\n“The IU Chinese Students and Scholars Association has done a wonderful job in spearheading the fundraising effort I mentioned earlier,” Britton said. “They have certainly shown a strong sense of community by engaging other Chinese and American students in a very valuable effort.”