Saturday, Oct. 12

NCAA levies additional allegation against men’s basketball program

Letter says University failed to monitor actions in accordance to NCAA rules

The NCAA has levied a sixth allegation against the men’s basketball program, saying the University failed to monitor the program’s compliance to NCAA rules.\nThe University released a letter Thursday sent by the NCAA to University council at the Ice Miller law firm informing that the sixth allegation has been added to the allegations against former coach Kelvin Sampson and the basketball program.\nAt a press conference Thursday, IU President Michael McRobbie said he was surprised and disappointed the NCAA alleged the University failed to monitor the basketball program.\n“I do want to say today that I am extremely disappointed by the new allegation by the NCAA committee of infraction,” McRobbie said. “I believe that the facts and the record no way justify this charge.”\nThe allegations were overshadowed by the resignation of IU Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan, who also said he was disappointed with the additional allegation sent by the NCAA.\n“I strongly disagree with the allegations,” Greenspan said.\nThe letter states that the University “failed to monitor” in terms of general monitoring required by all NCAA schools, the heightened monitoring because of Sampson’s infractions at Oklahoma and not adhering to the processes put in place after self-reporting infractions to the NCAA.\nThough he disagrees with the latest allegation, Greenspan said that he takes ultimate responsibility for any failures. \n“As the athletic director, I accept responsibility for the actions of our department,” Greenspan said.\nThe additional allegation came as a surprise to the University since it was not mentioned during the NCAA investigation nor was it brought up during the University’s hearing in front of the NCAA Committee on Infractions on June 13-14.\n“I will point out that the NCAA's own investigators did not make such a charge following their extensive review of the facts,” McRobbie said. “I want to be clear we will vigorously defend Indiana University against what we believe is an unfair and unjustified charge.”\nSince Greenspan will continue on as the director of athletics until the end of the calendar year, he will continue to help the investigation and the University defense against the newest allegation.\n“I want to assist in any way I can as we work through the potholes and uncertainties of this NCAA investigation,” Greenspan said. “I think I have some history there and some institutional knowledge.”\nThe NCAA said the allegation is a continuation of the outstanding case against the men’s basketball program. The University is left with three options: to rest on what was said at the NCAA hearing in Seattle, send a written response or submit a written response and request an in-person hearing.\nRegardless of what the final response will be, McRobbie promised Hoosier fans everywhere that he and the University will do whatever it takes to fight this allegation.\n“I want to assure you, though that I am committed to addressing these concerns through the NCAA processes and bringing about a resolution that is fair to the University, to our coaches and to our student athletes. I am confident we will do just that,” McRobbie said.