Saturday, Oct. 12

University, Sampson present case to NCAA

NCAA Hearing

The University and former men’s basketball coach Kelvin Sampson presented their cases to the NCAA Committee on Infractions last Friday and Saturday at Seattle’s Hotel Deca.\nThe University faces four possible major violations stemming from violations of the program’s probation that followed Sampson when he came to IU from Oklahoma in the spring of 2006. So far, the University has self-imposed penalties including taking away one scholarship away for the 2009-2010 season and has limited the number of recruiting calls and visits by the current coaching staff led by new head coach Tom Crean.\nIU has admitted to the violations and hopes by doing so that the NCAA will be satisfied with the current punishments. Sampson, who reached a buyout settlement with the University in February, has still not publicly admitted any wrongdoing.\nAt the trial’s completion, IU Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan issued a statement to reporters thanking the NCAA for the chance to defend the men’s basketball program.\n“I would like to thank the NCAA Committee on Infractions for granting us the opportunity to present our case and our institutional position during this hearing,” Greenspan wrote in a statement given to The Associated Press.\nAfter hours of deliberations Friday and Saturday, the Committee on Infractions has six to eight weeks to give a final ruling in the case.\n“We realize that this is a very serious matter, and are grateful to the members of the Committee on Infractions for their vital role in conducting these proceedings,” Greenspan’s statement read. “We look forward to the adjudication of this matter in the future, and until the Committee’s decision is rendered, I will have no further comment regarding this subject.”\nFormer assistant coaches Jeff Meyer and Rob Senderoff were also present at the hearing to discuss their involvement in the alleged impermissible phone calls. All three coaches – Sampson, Meyer and Senderoff – could be given a “show cause” penalty, which would require a school to get approval from the NCAA before hiring the coach.\n“I am confident the committee will treat me fairly,” an emotional Meyer said to The Associated Press. “Second, I have from day one acknowledged the mistakes I’ve made and I’ve taken responsibility, personal responsibility, for the wrongdoing. I apologized to Indiana University for my involvement in the matter, however limited my involvement has been.”\nSampson did speak with reporters briefly as he was leaving the hotel Friday night, but did not comment too precisely on the hearing.\n“It’s a process,” Sampson said to The Associated Press.