Saturday, Oct. 12

Updates to facilities, coaching hires mark 4-year tenure

Though he hired several coaches and set the foundation for major facilities upgrades as IU’s director of athletics, Rick Greenspan will likely be remembered for the hiring of former basketball coach Kelvin Sampson and the pending NCAA allegations against the University.\nGreenspan was asked in a Thursday press conference whether he regretted hiring Sampson when the coach was under investigation by the NCAA for making impermissible phone calls at Oklahoma.\nGreenspan danced around the question, saying he did not reflect on the past.\n“That’s an easy question that doesn’t really merit an answer. If we spend all of our time looking in the rear-view mirror, I don’t think we spend time looking in the windshield seeing what’s ahead,” Greenspan said. “I see that answer is self-evident, but I think it behooves us as an institution and, certainly, me to look forward.”\nThough most of the questions at Greenspan’s resignation press conference centered on Sampson and the NCAA, IU President Michael McRobbie stressed Greenspan’s contributions to the University during his four years as director of athletics.\n“(Greenspan) has made a number of major contributions to Indiana University athletics, in particular his focus on substantially improving the condition of the department and his successful recruitment of and appointment of coaches,” McRobbie said. \nThe most notable improvement during the Greenspan era came in the financial health of the athletic department. Greenspan spearheaded fundraising efforts that resulted in $55 million worth of athletic facilities upgrades, including the football endzone extension and the basketball practice facility.\n“I also would like to point out the improvements in our athletic facilities that are currently underway under Rick’s leadership and have been sorely needed for some time,” McRobbie said.\nWhen he departs in December, Greenspan’s two “signature hires” – Terry Hoeppner and Sampson – will not be serving as football or basketball coach. Hoeppner passed away June 19, 2007, while Sampson resigned in February in the midst of NCAA allegations levied against the men’s basketball program.\nHoeppner’s passing was a difficult situation for the football program and Greenspan himself. Greenspan talked about how much he cherished his relationship with the late Hoosier football coach during the press conference.\nMost of the criticism Greenspan has received during the past four years stemmed from the hiring of Sampson and the subsequent NCAA violations that occurred just months after Sampson became coach.\nThe high-profile nature of the NCAA situation put Greenspan in the spotlight – something he wished to avoid as director of athletics.\n“I think I’ve been fairly consistent throughout my tenure here that I see my role as a support role, to provide opportunities – be it resources or personnel or facilities or financial (support) – and I think to some degree, the focus or the criticism over the last period of time has centered on me more than it should on our student-athletes or on our coaches,” Greenspan said. “I think they are the heart and soul of our program.”\nThe final legacy of Greenspan will not be determined until the resolution with the NCAA and the until the IU careers of new football coach Bill Lynch and new basketball coach Tom Crean play out in the future.\nAs for the remaining six months he will serve as director of athletics, Greenspan said he wanted to complete short-term projects and continue long-term projects so his successor can finish them.\n“When you’re in an administrative position, you rarely finish any of your major strategic goals,” Greenspan said. “You’re always in progress. But there are some relatively short-term goals that I want to see happen and want to be a productive part of that.”