Saturday, Oct. 12

Loukas wins 2nd 1-meter springboard title

IU swimmers and divers compete at National Championships

Christina Loukas dives to a second-place finish in the women's 3-meter springboard finals Saturday at the National Diving Championships in the Rose Bowl Aquatics Center in Pasadena, Calif. (AP Photo/Reed Saxon)

As the Olympics draw near, Beijing-bound IU senior diver Christina Loukas is on a roll.
Thursday, Loukas successfully defended her title in the one-meter springboard at the 2008 Kaiser Parmanente National Diving Championships. Loukas scored a 264.80 in the final round of competition, edging out Olympic synchronized 3-meter diving partner and Purdue alum Amanda Miller by five points.

Sunday, Loukas came up just short of winning her second national title of the weekend in the three-meter springboard when she finished eight points behind champion and Iowa alum Nancilea Foster.

Loukas wasn’t the only Hoosier diver vying for a title at the Rose Bowl Aquatic Center in Pasadena, Calif. Former IU divers Cassandra Cardinell (5th) and Lindsay Weigle (7th) also took home top-10 finishes in the one-meter springboard. Junior Brittney Feldman, incoming freshman Gabriella Agostino and junior Amy Korthauer all competed in the preliminary rounds of the 1-meter springboard event.

On the men’s side of the competition, sophomore Landon Marzullo captured fourth place on the platform with a score of 381.30. Teammates Will Bohonyi and David Legler finished 6th and 12th, respectively. Bohonyi also teamed up with sophomore Kris Hill to take third in the synchronized platform event.