Tuesday, Oct. 1

Performance enchants viewers

‘Day Boy, Night Girl’ worth price of admission

From the moment I stepped into the Wells-Metz Theatre for the Thursday night showing of “The Day Boy and the Night Girl,” I was captivated by the work of art that was the set; more impressive was the fact that the music, costumes, lighting and performers managed to keep my attention throughout – no small feat in this day of ADHD.

Having seen designer Seamus M. Bourne’s work before, I would not have been surprised at the artistry of the set, but more intriguing was the fact that the viewer could almost tell the storyline from the set itself. Elements of both the division and unification of night and day could be seen across the stage, while the overriding intellectual pursuit that drove the main character was evident from the books that littered every stage angle – from the 3-foot-high stacks on the main set piece (a study) to those hanging from the ceiling grid above.

Senior Lovlee Carroll was enchanting as title character Nycteris during solo musical numbers such as “What Becomes Me,” while her male counterpart, graduate student Carmund White, gave a commanding performance in the role of Photogen.

However, guest artist Tina Stafford simply stole the scene when she appeared as the not-so-evil witch Watho. From her singing voice to spot-on comedic timing, I could simply find no fault with this professional’s performance.

The ensemble worked flawlessly together, despite the fact that script and musical changes were still being made less than a week before opening night. Both song and dance appeared excellently harmonized. Sophomore Kerry Ipema’s dance as “Moonlight” was particularly notable in its grace.

The music was generally enthralling, thanks in large part to music director, pianist and conductor James Ivey, a Jacobs School of Music doctoral student, whose piano was literally center stage, decorated to appear as part of the set.

As for costumes, the ensemble costumes worked together well, while Watho’s gold-and-gray-accented red dress, navy overcoat and flowing sleeves were striking, drawing the viewer’s attention to her with every movement.  Meanwhile, Nycteris’ silver skirt and midnight-blue overdress were well-suited to the character’s core personality trait – her nighttime environment.

Also intriguing were the horse costumes worn by ensemble members sophomore Russell Stout and recent Jacobs graduate Maggie Mountsier, with glittering brown and gold headdresses. While the costumes differed, they were unified with each other and well-fitted to the roles. Meanwhile, the costume of junior William Angulo as the wolf was both primal and attention-grabbing in the opening, when the wolf and Watho exhibited their love/hate relationship in a dance that was part caress, part struggle.

The lighting was effective, working with the sets to create the mood and help define the difference between night and day.

Although some might have found the more interpretive musical numbers – such as the opening – disconcerting because of their highly artistic nature, this did not detract enough from the overall performance to keep away most theatergoers.

One of the most impressive aspects for this theater-lover was that the production was apparently done without the benefit of a running crew. This left the actors responsible for all props, not to mention the spotlights, which were operated by ensemble members when needed – and they pulled it off without any obvious falters.

WHEN: Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.
WHERE: Wells-Metz Theatre
MORE INFO: Admission: $12 general admission and $7 for students