Tuesday, Oct. 1

Summer Music Festival prepares for final week of performances

Maureen McGovern
Singer

All that jazz – and so much more.

Maureen McGovern, Academy- and Grammy-Award winner, will join Jacobs School of Music faculty and students as well as regional musicians for an 8 p.m. performance Friday at the Musical Arts Center.

“Maureen McGovern has a voice quality like no other,” said Tom Wieligman, Jacobs School of Music executive administrator for instrumental ensembles. “She has a type of voice you don’t hear very often.”

Jacobs School Dean Gwyn Richards wanted to do something a little different for the last weekend of the Summer Music Festival, said Steve Houghton, world renowned musician and Jacobs faculty member. So the two of them had a discussion and came up with the festival studio orchestra concept. Basically, big band and orchestra are combined. 

Houghton said all they needed was a headliner artist to make the performance complete. Maureen McGovern turned out to be the perfect option.

“Steve Houghton provided us with an in (for getting McGovern to perform),” said Wieligman.

Houghton has been McGovern’s principal drummer for the past 15 years.

“Usually orchestra concerts deal with traditional literature or classical literature,” Houghton said. “Very rarely do students get to play a popular artist.”

The unique styles being fused together is one of the reasons McGovern said she was attracted to the project. The other component that drew her in was the Jacobs School of Music students.

“The students are exceedingly talented,” McGovern said. “Steve is so proud of his students.”

Alain Barker, director of marketing and publicity for the Jacobs School of Music, said Houghton got involved because he wanted Jacobs students to have to have an authentic professional experience. 

“He (Houghton) believes Jacobs School of Music students and students from all over, need to know the industry’s work,” Barker said.

The wide variety of music included in the program will feature more than 20 songs by composers such as Gershwin, Lennon, McCartney and Webb. The program will also feature three of McGovern’s own songs, including her Academy-Award-winning single “The Morning After.” 

“She will bring the audience new energy with every song that she does,” Houghton said.

The first half of the show will focus more on jazz and big-band music. McGovern will be singing jazz-influenced songs such as “Caravan” or “Fever,” Houghton said.

McGovern said her favorite piece to perform within this section is “I’m Late.”

“I love doing it with a big band,” she said.

The big band will be made up of faculty and students, along with
local professionals.

In booking the musicians, Wieligman said he had only one basic criterion – excellence.  
Whether searching for a ho
use, a plumber or a musician, Wieligman said he searches for the very best. As far as choosing McGovern as the vocalist, Wieligman said she surpasses his every expectation.

“We are presenting our students with the best of both worlds – she is an excellent performer and a great person,” he said.

In the second half of the concert, the audience will hear the festival studio orchestra play with the addition of string instruments. 

“It is a big difference,” Houghton said. “The show takes ona whole new flavor.”
McGovern will complement each piece with her vocals. 

“It is a great opportunity for people who never get to play this type of music,” said Joey Tartell, Lead trumpeter in the big band and Jacobs faculty member. “Maureen McGovern puts on a great show. She is a great artist in a number of different styles; there is a large versatility – there is something for everyone.”

Houghton believes everyone, including the musicians, will be moved after such a unique performance.

“It will be a wonderfully diverse evening of song, great music, and hopefully a great singer,” said McGovern.  “Everyone should have a great time.”