Tuesday, Oct. 1

Don’t lie, you know you love it too

To some, it’s a guilty pleasure. To others, it’s simply trash.

But for those drama-loving, fashion-coveting TV fans out there, it’s the best hour we have all week. All right, maybe not the best, but it’s up there.

I think after a year of (mostly) secret love, I am fully ready to admit it: I absolutely love “Gossip Girl.”

I’m not quite sure what makes the show so addictive. Maybe it’s the over-the-top drama, maybe it’s the boys, maybe it’s just being able to shut off my brain for an hour to watch the prettiest bunch of people I will ever see in one place.

Whatever it is, I can’t get enough.

Sure, the show has had its low points. But nothing compares to the way the show continually outdoes itself.

My favorite part from the last episode was the ambush of Serena and Dan by the three mini Upper East Siders.

And what could be better than the syrupy sweet, different-sides-of-the-Hudson romance between Nate and Vanessa? Blair and Chuck’s love-to-hate each other relationship, perhaps?

Again, I know the show is light on the heavier topics, but I think that’s what I love so much about it. It’s unabashedly fluffy, and there is something for almost everyone. Beautiful men, gorgeous women, teenage partying, good people, lots of bad people, parental romance, drama of all sorts – everything we love to hate.

Another thing I love about “Gossip Girl” is the amount of buzz it creates off the small screen. New York Magazine called it the “greatest teen drama of all time.” Newsweek is writing articles about why men shouldn’t feel bad about loving the show. Neither compares, though, to the scandal instigated by the Parents Television Council.

Rightly sensing that “Gossip Girl” is not appropriate for all audiences, the Parents Television Council decided they had a problem with the way the show was being marketed. They started accosting the show’s marketing campaign, saying it wasn’t family-friendly and was being marketed to teens when it was so obviously an adult program.

The show’s network, the CW, countered this protest by using some excerpts from the Parents Television Council’s protest in the new ad campaign. My favorite is the ad that shows Blair and Nate in a very precarious embrace with the words “Mind-blowingly inappropriate” emblazoned above them.

Delicious!

“Gossip Girl” is my weekly guilty pleasure. No, scratch that. I don’t even feel guilty about loving it.

Sure, I wasn’t able to admit it for a while, but I’m hoping that my courageous move will help all of you other closet “Gossip Girl” lovers as well.

Come on, no one will make fun of you. I’m sure everyone else loves it as much as you do.

XOXO.