Tuesday, Oct. 1

Find this fall's new hoodie

Bryan Payton is a senior majoring in general studies.

With fall less than a week away, it’s time to think about ways to make your wardrobe more sophisticated while staying fashionable and warm. There’s no better way to do this than to throw on a nice blazer.

I know the majority of you will be tempted by that same old, wack hoodie day after day, but allow me to strongly encourage you to save the hoodie for Sunday afternoons while cheering on your favorite football team.

It’s imperative that every man in his early 20s begin to purchase a healthy collection of sensible, stylish blazers. Some should be your power, go-to blazers for important meetings and big events, while others should be more casual for simple dates and hanging out.

Over time, I’ve carefully purchased nine blazers, both casual and business-like; my favorite, and most important one, being my navy blazer.

If you peer into your closet and do not see a navy blazer, you need to buy one. It’s the most versatile piece of clothing, as well as one of the most common and respected. And it shows that you mean business.

While it’s a rather simple piece of clothing, it can be extremely different depending on the material, fit and style. When shopping for your navy blazer, remember that the darker it is, the better. It should be very rich. If it’s dull, it’ll only look cheap. Choose whatever type of fabric suits you, but do it carefully.

The right navy blazer will always make you look like you put in more effort than you actually did. Pair it with shirts in bright white, subtle blues and pinks, or any shade of gray.

That being said, your blazer does not always have to be navy. I encourage diversity when it comes to blazers. Play around with different colors and textures – there are many to choose from. Seersucker and khaki blazers are great in the summer months, but because this is fall, I’d save those. Instead stick to tweed, plaid, wool or corduroy.

Also, don’t always pair your blazer with trousers or khakis. Feel free to rock the blazer with a collared shirt, a pair of nice-fitting jeans and sneakers. If you want to take this look up a notch, add a tie to the shirt.

If you’re at all serious about your blazers – and I’d hope that you are – have them tailored. Remember, it’s more casual than a suit, so you have more freedom with the fit. For a more relaxed jacket, go with loose layering. For a more formal look, decide on slimmer tailoring. Your entire outfit should be well-proportioned to your body. A blazer that’s too big makes you look more amateur in your style.

Lastly, pay attention to detail. Two-button blazers are the most popular right now, but they’re not a must. Three-button blazers help shorter guys, like me, feel a little taller. A one- or two-buttoned blazer will help you oversized men appear slimmer.

Make sure the collar lays flat and stays on the shirt collar. Under the jacket, a little bit of the shirt sleeve should show. Aim for about a quarter-inch.

So, as a man, feel free to embrace sophistication and allow the blazer to be this fall’s new hoodie.