Saturday, Oct. 12

Ice hockey team holds call-out

The 2008-09 IU men’s club ice hockey team will host three call-out meetings in September at the Pan American Plaza Skating Rink in Indianapolis.

“The meetings help establish which guys we will place on the ice when we get to games,” said IU coach Tom Orr.

Last season proved to be successful for the team, as they made it to the Division II National Championship game before falling to Davenport University.

Star player Dan Karlander capped off a phenomenal career by winning the American Collegiate Hockey Association’s Division II Most Valuable Player award. Karlander is in second place all-time for IU hockey in career points and was the club’s leading scorer three seasons in a row.

Karlander and four other seniors graduated at the end of last year. A few other players have been lost to injuries, making this year’s tryouts essential, Orr said.

“We get a lot of players who are excited to come and try out,” he said. “It makes for a pretty interesting team.”

Although only 21 players are allowed to suit up for games, a total of 30 players can be on the active roster. With 19 returning players, Orr is looking to select 11 new players.

“We like to make the guys earn their spots back even though we had a great deal of success last year,” he said. “We like the competition.”

Despite the success of last season, Orr believes his team can still improve.

“I’ve got real high expectations even though we lost a few players last year,” he said. “I think the sky’s the limit this year.”