Saturday, Oct. 12

Infractions and miscues loom large

Michigan State's Javon Ringer finds an opening in the IU defense during the Spartans' 42-29 win on Saturday at Memorial Stadium. Ringer had 198 yards on 44 carries.

Rather than seeing nothing but green turf Saturday, the Hoosiers saw yellow-colored flags all afternoon.

In what has become a common theme for IU the last two weeks, penalties have tortured the Hoosiers, coming at inopportune times. Upset at the loss but still proud of his players, IU coach Bill Lynch did not have much to say when it came to fixing those mistakes.

“We’ll work on them,” Lynch said.

Against Michigan State on Saturday and Ball State the week prior, the Hoosiers combined for 16 penalties at a cost of 166 yards, none bigger than sophomore offensive lineman Cody Faulkner’s hold in the third quarter against the Spartans.

Down five points and just shy of two minutes remaining in the third quarter, sophomore quarterback Ben Chappell launched a pass to sophomore wide receiver Terrance Turner over the middle of the field that resulted in a 97-yard touchdown.

IU had finally come back. The momentum was theirs. Memorial Stadium was on its feet.

Then Chappell saw the flag, and the Hoosiers’ world turned upside down.

“I thought he called roughing the passer,” Chappell said. “Then I saw the flag right next to me.”

What would have been the longest play in IU history since John Paci connected to Thomas Lewis in 1993 became a nine-point swing. The hold negated the touchdown and since it occurred in the endzone, the Spartans were awarded a safety.

“I’ve never seen that play,” Lynch said. “I’ve been around football a long time, and I’ve never seen a 98-yard touchdown (pass) that ends up as minus two.

“Now I’m not criticizing the call. I haven’t seen the call, but that’s a very unusual play. Anybody ever see that one? That’s a new one.”

Lynch was careful not to criticize the officiating during his postgame interview, but was given an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty early in the first quarter. Irate with an official’s call of an illegal block, Lynch tacked on another 15 yards and hurt his own team’s cause.

“I feel that when you’re working hard, sometimes it’s going to be called,” Turner said. “If you’re going out there giving 100 percent, somebody’s going to get a holding call or a block in the back. It just happens – the nature of the game.”

Aside from the penalties, the Hoosiers committed three turnovers. Chappell and junior quarterback Kellen Lewis each threw an interception while freshman receiver Damarlo Belcher fumbled away IU’s final possession.

Conversely, IU failed to register a takeaway for the first time in its last 18 games. The Hoosiers are now minus one in turnover margin – six takeaways to seven giveaways.

So as the Hoosiers prepare to travel to Minneapolis this week, fixing the penalties and miscues will be the point of emphasis during practice.

“I think we just have to focus a little bit more,” Lewis said. “We didn’t have many penalties against Western Kentucky or Murray State. We’ve got to get back to the drawing board.”