Tuesday, Oct. 1

IU Auditorium welcomes show ‘Sweeney Todd’

Sweeney Todd will seek his revenge today and Wednesday at the IU Auditorium during the Tony award-winning musical “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.”

Both nights at 8 p.m., audiences can witness the gruesome story of the barber and his partner as they viciously kill his customers in order to seek revenge after a judge takes his wife and daughter away.

The legend of Sweeney Todd began with the short chronicles of “The String of Pearls: A Romance” published in 1846 and 1847 by unknown authors.

Since then, the version has been rendered into novels, plays and films, including the most recent version directed by Tim Burton in 2007 and starring Johnny Depp.
Stephen Sondheim composed the musical’s songs and lyrics, while the musical itself is by playwright Hugh Wheeler.

The musical has a beautiful score, said Maria Talbert, IU Auditorium events manager. Beyond its gruesome story line, it also has unique production elements, she said. With a small cast, the actors not only have to play their roles, but different instruments as well.

“This production is going to be totally different than any other production,” said Adam Schaff, the marketing specialist for the IU auditorium. “It’s a completely new take of Sondheim’s pieces for the audience to see.”

The entire musical has a lot to feast on, Talbert said. There are many double meanings and symbolism in the show, which is great for the Bloomington audience.
“I think that the story line, in and of itself, is different,” Talbert said. “I don’t know any other musical that has such a dark theme in it.”

Although the movie is known as a gory film, Talbert urges people to see the musical.

“The movie was a little over the top,” she said. “This production is not as gory as the movie is.”

Although the musical has some mature content, it is great for all audiences, Talbert said.

Many students are excited to see the musical.

“I saw it before it became a movie,” said sophomore Zach Lesh. “I am a big fan of musicals, and ‘Sweeney Todd’ is by far one of my favorite musicals.”

The marketing department at the IU Auditorium spent a lot of time promoting the show. Monday afternoon, the auditorium, B97 radio station and College Town Cutters hosted free straight edge shaves to anyone who wanted one.

“We had a really nice crowd,” Schaff said. About 20 people received complementary shaves.

Hear a podcast interview with the lead actor in the musical on www.iuaudtorium.com along with some of the musical’s numbers. Tickets are still available for purchase online or at the box office.