Wednesday, Oct. 2

Pets ALIVE names new director

A local spay and nueter clinic in Bloomington has found a new leader to help spread word to the community about the “plight” of homeless animals.
Pets ALIVE announced the appointment of James McNamara as the group’s executive director on Aug. 25. McNamara started his new position Monday.
The clinic is located in Bloomington and services south-central Indiana with low-cost surgeries for cats and dogs. Pets ALIVE opened in March of 2005 and, since its start, has performed more than 30,000 surgeries to prevent unwanted litters.
The nonprofit organization was initiated as a catalyst for change, said Karla Kamstra, president of the board of directors for Pets ALIVE. They will continue seeking solutions for animal problems, such as finding homes for cats and dogs, Kamstra said.
“We awakened the community to the plight of the homeless animals,” Kamstra said. “There was no organization offering high-quality, affordable spaying and neutering, so we took what needed to be done and said we would do it.”
McNamara said he was excited to take on this new position and eager to let the community know more about the organization.
“I think Pets ALIVE is doing incredible work and my highest priority is going to be getting the word out to the community,” McNamara said. “I suspect I will be spending a fair amount of time at the clinic, but then also going into the community and letting people know the importance of getting their pets spayed and neutered.”
Before being named executive director, McNamara served as the deputy mayor of Bloomington for 12 years.
McNamara has a passion for Pets ALIVE’s mission and believes strongly in its cause, which was one of the reasons he was chosen as the new executive director, Kamstra said.
“You have to get to the core of the problem, which is too many animals are being born, and James understands that,” she said. “He has a strong business sense and a strong presence in our community, which will be great for Pets ALIVE.”
Kamstra said McNamara has already been putting the time into the organization by asking questions and wanting to learn all sides of the non-profit organization.
“You can tell he understands a lot about what we are doing and where we need to go with it.” Kamstra said.
Laurie Ringquist, shelter director for Bloomington’s Animal Care and Control, said they keep a close relationship with Pets ALIVE, sending over cats and dogs for surgeries every week.
“We’ve worked with Pets ALIVE since they started, and we’re excited for them and to work with James,” Ringquist said. “James is very intelligent and capable, so we are eager to see what he will bring to the table.”