Tuesday, Oct. 1

Reinvent yourself this school year, because everyone’s looking

In the spirit of hockey player-turned-fashion intern Sean Avery, I’m here to give the men some sorely needed fashion advice. With school having started back up this week, I want to stress the importance of making an impression this school year.
I can’t help but love this time of year, not only because you see friends after a long summer or because of those great 8 a.m. classes, but because it’s a chance to reinvent yourself. And one can start with his wardrobe.

First off, whether you realize it or not, people are watching – everyone from random peers walking on campus, to your professors, to that girl secretly checking you out behind her ridiculously big sunglasses.

Believe me, if there’s ever a place where you want to impress someone, it’s probably on campus. Why? Well, for example, on campus there are many people who know people who could be potential employers. I’m not saying you should wear a suit each day, but you at least want to give off the vibe that you do have some fashion sense.
Because it’s still hot outside, keep it simple – but that doesn’t mean wearing the same basketball shorts every day. Go with a pair of lightweight plaid shorts – any color will do – along with a V-neck T-shirt. You want the shirt to match the color scheme of your shorts and not be too big. The “V” should end at the middle of your chest.

Got an important but casual meeting? You can always go with a nice-fitting collared shirt. During the summer months, don’t shy away from brighter colors. But take note: The darker your skin, the more you can pull this off. My favorite collared shirts are all 100 percent cotton, but if you’re a mover and a shaker, look for shirts with a touch of Lycra in them. They’ll stretch to your shape.

When in doubt, match your shirts with a pair of dark wash jeans. They go with everything. If you’re not into bright colors, try and match your shirt with your jeans, because a single color worn head to toe will make you look taller and slimmer. A nice pair of jean shorts is acceptable as long as they don’t look like “jorts”: jean shorts that end right above the ankle. Aim for shorts that are cut at or right below the knee.

With your footwear, be casual but not careless. It’s often the first thing the ladies will notice. Boat shoes are both casual and chic. Also, make sure you have at least two pairs of all-white shoes. One pair should be kept spotless for dates, casual meetings, parents in town, etc., and the other should be for everyday wear. Subtle scuffs are OK for the second pair.

I encourage you all to dress to impress this school year. Stand out to potential employers to get that internship, attract that beautiful brunette you’ve been eyeing all week and, most importantly, look good for you. Treat your wardrobe as an investment and allow it to be one that displays confidence and a sense of style rather than one of sloppiness.