Tuesday, Oct. 1

Slatkin, Bell perform for sold-out crowd

Joshua Bell performs a piece from "The Red Violin" with the IU Philharmonic Orchestra Wednesday evening at the IU Auditorium. This was the first performance of Bell as an IU faculty member.

Wednesday night, the IU Philharmonic Orchestra performed for a sold-out crowd at the IU Auditorium. Renowned conductor Leonard Slatkin led the orchestra, joined by one of the Jacobs School of Music’s most famous almunus and faculty members, violinist Joshua Bell.

“He’s done a lot of high-visiblity stuff besides being a soloist,” said Max Brumbach, a music teacher who came from Greensburg for the concert.

Unfortunately, while Bell may be very highly regarded in the musical community, Brumbach said in today’s society, even someone of Bell’s stature is not widely recognized.

While that might hold true in Greensburg, young musicians in Bell’s native Bloomington know his name.

“He’s an idol for us,” said Sarah Spencer, a freshman and violinist at Bloomington High School South. “He’s our hero.”

Spencer came with a friend, viola player and fellow freshman Emile Brandon.
“She was like, ‘we have tickets to Joshua Bell,’ and I was screaming, I was so excited,” Brandon said.

Bell made his entrance after intermission, performing music from “The Red Violin,” a movie which has become a signature for him.

In performance, Bell seemed to give himself to the music, body swaying and jerking to the rhythm, face entranced as his fingers and bow danced across the strings.

“This music really suits his playing style really well and he brings out the best in it,” said violinst and sophomore Mario Arango.

Upon receiving a standing ovation, Bell returned for a special encore, also from “The Red Violin.”

“The main character, the crazy guy, plays this one inspired piece, and I’d like to play it for you now,” he told the audience. “This is ‘Pope’s Concert.’”

The night drew to a close with a half-dozen bows from Bell and about five minutes of applause from the audience.

“I thought it was great. I was really impressed with the orchestra as well,” said masters student violinist Rachel Patrick. “I think the season is off to a great start.”