Tuesday, Oct. 1

Terms that you ought to know

Ballet
Pointe: Women go onto pointe, or onto their toes, and men do not.
Arabesque: This is where the dancer is standing very tall on pointe with one leg behind. It is a very graceful and classic pose.

Pas de deux: This is a dance with two people. This could be very impressive if a date were to say something like, “Oh, the pas de deux was stunning.”

Fun Fact: Although ballet is an Italian art form, it was codified in France, hence the French words.

Opera
Soprano: This is the highest singing voice.

Tenor: Usually the lead male’s singing voice; tenor is higher than bass.

Bass: This is the lowest male voice type. He often will play an older, wiser character or a sinister character.

Aria: Usually an expressive melody, an aria is a song for one voice accompanied by the orchestra.

Overture: An overture is played by the orchestra, without singing, to introduce the opera.

Fun Fact: Luciano Pavarotti’s performance on February 24, 1988, was applauded for an hour and seven minutes through 165 curtain calls, according to Guinness World Records.

Symphony
Movement: Most symphonies have four movements. The first is usually a full and up-tempo piece. The second is typically somber and slow, while the third is a moderate, dance-like piece. The fourth movement is usually fast and called the finale.

Baton: This is the pointing device the conductor holds while directing the orchestra.  
Concerto: Soloists will usually play a concerto, which is a piece written for a solo instrument and orchestral accompaniment.

Sections: The string section sits at the front. The woodwinds sit behind the strings, usually on lifts. The brass section sits in the corner or behind the woodwinds. The percussion section is behind every other section.

Fun Fact: The average salary for stagehands in New York is $115,000, according to the League of American Theaters and Producers. Some stagehands for the New York Philharmonic make up to $300,000 a year.