Saturday, Oct. 12

Weekend of sports facilitates escape

You know, I really wanted to write about how my Chicago White Sox beat up on the Detroit Tigers to force a one-game playoff, but thanks to Mother Nature, that wasn’t possible – the game was delayed for too long.

But the writing must go on.

While my heart is currently with the White Sox, I realize this weekend was a pretty good one for sports. There was pretty much something for everyone.

In other baseball news, the Tampa Bay Rays have cemented their finish atop the AL East. Now we will wait and see if they are for real as they enter the playoffs for the first time.

The New York Mets collapsed on the last day of the season once again, and I’m just waiting on the Chicago Cubs to choke.

In NASCAR, my man Jimmie Johnson is turning me into a prophet by leading the way through three races in NASCAR’s Chase for the Sprint Cup only to see the oft-hated Kyle Busch fall to dead last.

In NFL news, you’ve got Terrell Owens complaining about not getting the ball again, even though anyone who knows football knows that the Cowboys are going to win games based off quarterback Tony Romo and running back Marion Barber.

And on an exciting note, former Hoosier cornerback Tracy Porter earned his first career interception and added a sack for the New Orleans Saints.

How awesome is that?

In college football we were shown, once again, any team can be beat another team any given day. USC fell to Oregon State, while Florida was beaten by Ole Miss at home after getting an extra point blocked. That goes to show that the little things count.

In the world of boxing, junior middleweight “Sugar” Shane Mosley knocked out Ricardo Mayorga to start off what will be a high-quality boxing schedule this fall.

In the whole scheme of things, sports are quite insignificant. But what it allowed me to do this weekend was relax and get excited about something other than school.

OK, so school might not be all that exciting, but you get what I mean.

It allowed me to escape and watch someone else worry about picking up a linebacker instead of me having to do it. And believe me, I did plenty of it this weekend.

It was fun seeing cars go nearly 200 miles per hour and seeing a guy get his block knocked off by a legend in the ring. It’s nice to see giants fall in the world of college football. After all, that’s why they put the football out there.

And of course, it’s great to see a former teammate do his thing at the highest level.
So, allow sports to take you to another place and relax or just get excited.

I mean, you might as well, because once you step into work or the classroom on Monday, it’s all business.