Saturday, Oct. 12

Women’s team receives largest-ever donation

$250,000 gift will go to basketball development center

The IU women’s basketball team received a $250,000 contribution, the University announced Wednesday, a record for the women’s basketball program.

The gift was made to the “For the Glory of Old IU: the Campaign for IU Athletics,” and came courtesy of Smithville, Indiana’s largest privately owned telecommunications company, according to a press release.

The donation is part of a larger campaign, the goal of which is to raise $80 million in private support for athletic scholarships and facilities improvement.

Smithville President Darby McCarty heads the campaign steering committee, and it was in her name that the contribution was officially made.

“Darby McCarty has set the tone for women’s basketball here at Indiana University,” IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack said in the release. “I am deeply touched, honored and humbled by her support. She exemplifies what one considers a phenomenal woman.”

The donation is earmarked specifically for the basketball development center being erected on the south side of Assembly Hall.

“Our continued support and the support from many other dedicated fans of IU Athletics will help ensure its stability,” McCarty said in the release. “Athletics are a core component of Indiana University, and its continued history is important to us. This contribution will help IU student-athletes reach their goals, fulfill their potential, and continue to create Hoosier legacies.”