Tuesday, Oct. 1

‘Wonderfully horrible, awful’ dresses key in new play

It’s every woman’s fashion nightmare: As a bridesmaid, not only is she clad in the same dress as four other women, but a dress that is specifically designed to make these unfortunate women look worse than their sister/cousin/best friend, the bride. In the play “Five Women Wearing the Same Dress,” five very different bridesmaids find common ground while avoiding the “happy occasion.”

This will be the first play by the new nonprofit company Burnin’ Daylight Productions.

“There are five great roles for an ensemble of women,” said Sally Murphy, director and president of Burnin’ Daylight, who described it as a “character-driven piece.” She said few shows have a lot of strong roles for women.

One of those women, junior Hollis Austin, portrays Frances, the youngest member of the group both literally and psychologically.

“She’s a naive good girl out of the group,” Austin said. “She always does the right thing.”

Rounding out the otherwise estrogen-ridden cast is IU alumnus Dan Brown as Tripp, a bridal party member from the other side of the aisle.

“He’s the lone male,” Murphy said. “We call him our ‘bad-boy usher.’”

Brown is quick to defend Tripp, describing him as the guy who knows how to party.

“I guess that’s why they consider him a bad boy,” he said, “not that he is.”

And while Brown won’t don the famous dress, he will not escaped unscathed.

“It’s not tasteful,” he said of the “gross, ornate, orange” vest he’ll be wearing with his tux. “You just look at it and you’re like, ‘I would never want to wear it.’”

But nothing is worse than the dresses, everyone agreed.

“These really are horrible dresses – wonderfully horrible, awful,” Murphy said. “The hats are glorious.”

Austin said she doesn’t mind wearing the brilliant monstrosity, which will be peach and puffy with tulle, not to mention the white rosettes and matching peach tulle hats.

“They’re actually pretty flattering dresses, despite the fact that they’re hideous,” she said. “It’s like another character in the play almost.”

For Austin, the play’s appeal is obvious.

“It’s full of laughs and very entertaining,” Austin said. “It’s filled with young, racy issues. ... They’re addressed in this play in a really good way.”

The people involved seem to view the project as a labor of love.

“It’s not-for-profit, and we’re all just pitching in to start a troupe Sally can continue with,” Brown said, adding that their crew, like the cast, is unpaid. “We have volunteers here and there who basically fill the roles.”

Before launching Burnin’ Daylight, Murphy was a drama teacher at Edgewood High School in Ellettsville until she retired.

“Sally Murphy has been directing for 30 years,” Brown said. “So she’s built up a reputation for the productions she’s done.”

While the verdict is still out on “Five Women,” theatergoers can judge for themselves this weekend – if only to catch a glimpse of some amazingly ugly dresses.

‘Five Women Wearing the Same Dress’
When: 7:30 p.m. Friday, 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Saturday
Where: John Waldron Arts Center, 122 S. Walnut St.
Tickets: $12, $8 for students and seniors. Tickets can be purchased through the Sunrise Box Office, (812) 323-3020, or at the door.