Tuesday, Oct. 1

Big hair to set in tonight’s musical at IU Auditorium

For one night only, the cast of the Tony Award-winning musical “Hairspray” will bring the major issues of the ’60s in a fun-filled musical to IU.

The show was so overwhelmingly popular when it was first brought to campus about 16 months ago that people asked to bring it back, said Doug Booher, director of the IU Auditorium.

The Auditorium is excited to have the cast back, and it will be another fun run with the cast members, said Auditorium events manager Maria Talbert.

“The show is one of the most entertaining and fun-loving musicals that has appeared on Broadway,” Booher said.

From the original John Waters film, the musical, set in the 1960s, is about young, overweight Tracy Turnblad who has only one dream: to dance on Baltimore’s local dance TV program.

Once she lands a spot on the “Corny Collins Show,” her journey as the local celebrity has only just begun.

This is an energetic and feel-good show, Booher said.

The musical tackles segregation and body-image issues in such a way that is easy to respond to.

“It’s a great way to be entertained,” Booher said.

Not only does the musical cover social issues, but it is also a way to celebrate the uplifting portrayal of friends and family, Booher said.

To prepare for the show, Talbert has been planning contests and events to give the musical’s issues a more serious look.

Many of the contests had hair as a theme. The IU Auditorium Facebook group held a bad hair day contest in which someone could win a set of tickets for the show. The radio station B97 also held a contest.

Residential Programs and Services was host to the most interesting event, Talbert said, a lecture that was more educational and interactive. Many people have preconceived notions about body types and this event explores those issues, she said.

“Tracy is not self-conscious, but she is overcoming the stereotype,” Talbert said. “That is one of the things I love most about the movie.”

Although the show runs for only one night, the Auditorium expects a great crowd, if not to sell out completely, Booher said.

Not only does the musical challenge stereotypes and social issues, but the score is a major hit.

“The music was a lot of fun,” senior Nicole Staffin said. “It kind of made me want to jump out of my seat and join the ranks.”

Hairspray
When: 8 p.m. tonight
Where: IU Auditorium
More info: Ticket prices start at $19 for students, $37 for the general public and are available at the box office or online at iuauditorium.com.