Saturday, Oct. 12

Despite wins, IU women's soccer just misses tournament

Junior forward Kristin Arnold winds up for a kick during the Hoosiers 1-0 win over Michigan Sunday afternoon at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Arnold scored the lone goal of the game in the 47th minute.

The IU women’s soccer team’s final weekend is probably best described as bittersweet.

IU came into the weekend needing two wins and some help to make the Big Ten Tournament in two weeks in Iowa City, Iowa. The Hoosiers (8-10-1, 3-6-1) did their part, winning both games over Michigan State and Michigan, each 1-0. But because Illinois defeated Ohio State on Sunday, the Hoosiers will not play in the conference tournament.

“I think it was just a tremendous effort by the girls,” IU coach Mick Lyon said. “I told them they faced a lot of adversity, and they’ve stuck with it. I told them all (that) all they could control was their own results, as they got mighty close, but unfortunately couldn’t quite get there.”

Friday’s game against the Spartans pitted the Hoosiers against the highest-scoring offense in the Big Ten. However, the Michigan State offense couldn’t get on track, and the Hoosiers shut it out.  

After a scoreless first half, IU didn’t waste much time in the second, as sophomore forward Leigh Anne Cummings scored her first goal of the season just six minutes into the second half.

The play was started on a long ball by freshman forward Devon Beach into the 18-yard box. Cummings received the pass to place to slot the ball in the back of the net.

“We were looking for the weak side, and we knew we had one extra player in the midfield,” Cummings said. “We kept playing balls looking for me, and I just really wanted to score.”

In the first half, the Spartans missed their best opportunity to score. Laura Heyboer, who leads the conference in scoring, had a one-on-one with Hoosier goalkeeper Lindsay Campbell. Campbell was able to cut down Heyboer’s angle, and the Spartan could not capitalize.

Campbell recorded her second consecutive shutout while recording just one save.

“Certainly I thought in the second half we came out totally energized,” Lyon said. “I thought we created some good chances. Then the last the 10 minutes was just great defending. They have some very good players, and Heyboer is a legitimate national team-type player.”

Sunday against Michigan, the Hoosiers played a scoreless first half with the Wolverines as well.

Like Friday’s game, IU was then able to score early in the second half. This time, the goal came just two minutes into the half.

Junior forward Kristin Arnold netted her second goal of the season with a shot from the 18 that went into the upper left corner of the goal.

“I was at the top of the 18, kind of open and I knew I didn’t have enough time to take a touch,” Arnold said. “So I just hit it first time, I wasn’t exactly sure where I was hitting it. It was good, because I knew that we needed a win, and that’s what we talked about in the locker room at halftime.”

Although the season came to an end Sunday, Lyon said he is still happy with what his team accomplished.

“Collectively as a group, I couldn’t be more proud of the kids,” he said. “For the fact that there aren’t any seniors on the team and playing a ton ... it was outstanding.”