Tuesday, Oct. 1

Embrace the necktie

The necktie is a small but very important part of a man’s formal uniform.

What began as a small, knotted neckerchief worn by Croatian soldiers in the 1600’s is now a staple of the men’s suit that often helps add that last “something” to the entire outfit.

What I love about ties is you don’t always have to wear them with suits. You can pull it off while wearing jeans as well. And there are so many different styles and textures to choose from, the possibilities of mixing and matching fabrics in your outfit are endless.

You want your tie to be a perfect fit. The bottom of your tie should end at your pant line or belt buckle. I’ve seen some men tuck their ties in their pants (including myself), but I wouldn’t try this unless your’re wearing a vest, cardigan or sweater.

The knot you choose mostly depends on your shirt collar. A flatter collar can accommodate pretty much any type of tie. But if you want to sport a skinny tie, go with a narrower collar. For the narrow collared shirt, try Geoffrey Beene. Last, but not least, don’t forget the dimple. It’s the indent on your tie, which should lay directly below the knot. A tie without it is acceptable, but not as stylish.

When shopping for a tie, be sure to take a look at all of your options. They come in print, solid, small pattern, stripe, bright, knit, variegated stripe, wool and polka dot. The three most important ties you need to own are an all black, navy and a small-pattern tie.

The solid black and navy ties will get you through any interview and will serve as your go-to ties when in doubt of what exactly you should wear. In a small-pattern tie, black or navy with very small white polka dots is key. Throw this around your neck with any ordinary black or navy suit to allow the tie to give it some pop.

My favorite fall tie is one that comes in pure wool. To me, they seemed to be very hard to find as I only own one of them in a light gray. I found it on sale at Macy’s, and I love it. If you can find one, you need to capitalize on this find. Wear them with white shirts and with slacks or jeans. They also go well with sweater vests.

In this day and age, the necktie is essential for a young man. Many students don’t realize what adding this important accessory can do, or they’re simply afraid of it because they think it will make them look too preppy.

If this is you, wake up. It’s the year of the gentleman, and a necktie is a symbol that shows you care about your clothes and how they look. It can take your outfit from bland to chic in 20 seconds (or however long it takes you to tie a tie).