Tuesday, Oct. 1

Fashion fundraiser mixes art, music for Buskirk-Chumley

Fashion+Function+Art = coming to the Buskirk-Chumley Theater tonight.

The equationally titled fashion show, sponsored by Optiks, starts at 7 p.m. The festivities end at 11 p.m. after a colorful showcase of local fashion and music. Optiks is an eyewear shop in Bloomington.

“It’s a fun celebration of not only the theater, but all of downtown Bloomington,” said Jen Whitton, Buskirk special events coordinator. “We bring together a lot of different people from all over town.”

The third annual event serves as a fundraiser to ensure a future for the Buskirk, built in 1922 by Harry and Nova Vonderschmitt.

“Two years ago, Optiks made a donation to the (Buskirk-Chumley),” Whitton said. “And in return, the theater provides use of the facility. Optiks donated their use back, insisting the time be used as a fundraiser for the theater.”

Whitton said an Optiks employee had experience in coordinating fashion shows, and decided to help with planning. Thus, the event was born.

“Function, in the event title, has double meaning,” Whitton said. “It’s a function for the theater – to raise funds. Also, it plays on fashion that functions in your life, and as art.”

Local celebrities, such as Deputy Mayor Maria Heslin, Communications Director of Bloomington Daniel Lopez and singer Lizzy Langham, will wear Bloomington retail clothing on the runway, as disc jockeys Heath Byers and Jonathan Richardson spin local tunes.

The disc-jockeying duo, known as “DJ Mother Truckers,” will play music from record labels around Bloomington,\nincluding artists from Secretly Canadian, Jajaguwar and Dead Oceans.

“Our job is to keep the pace upbeat, but not so upbeat that the models are sprinting down the runway,” Byers said.

While Byers and Richardson lay the event’s sound track, local retailers reveal new looks of apparel in setting-sensitive categories. Merchants including Cactus Flower, Haley’s, B Boutique and Rise dress models for day, evening, work, cocktail parties and more. Styles are not limited to human wear – London Dog, a canine outfitter, will clothe Bloomington pooches.

“The theme this year is taking risks,” Whitton said. “The dress code is anything crazy. Some people dress up, others have come in Halloween costumes. Bring your friends and have fun.”