Tuesday, Oct. 1

Film showing on Friday highlights new producers

2 documentary filmmakers work to create niche movie market

Brendan Kredell dreamed of being a movie producer as an undergraduate student but was unaware how to make his dream possible.

This changed when he started a production studio with his business partner, Tom Bailey. 

Kredell and Bailey started Talking Walls Production four years ago and will showcase three of their films at 7 p.m. Friday in the Radio and Television building.
Kredell also wants to explain to the audience possible ways to get started in the film industry. 

Kredell said, at one time, he wasn’t clear how to get from point A to point B in the movie industry while still paying his bills.

Kredell and Bailey both have other jobs and started their independent film studio with a mission of producing the films they wanted to create. 

“We realized early on we were both individuals interested in production,” Kredell said.  
Being able to make his own films is a luxury for Kredell, and he wants others to be aware of the many possible ways independent filmmakers can finance their productions.

Talking Walls is based out of Chicago, and Kredell and Bailey said they have worked hard to find a niche for their films. Both have documentary background but create a diverse selection of work, including productions for Chicago museums and feature films.

Kredell said he is most excited to show a clip of their latest short-film, “Short Winter.” It is about two boys who become stranded in a park on a snowy day and are confronted with obstacles challenging their community and friendship. 

The film was shot in Chicago last February over a two-day period but has been in the production process since March. It was just completed this month.

“Short Winter” has yet to receive much audience feedback, and Kredell said he is excited to hear what others think about Talking Walls’ latest creation. 

“As a filmmaker, you’re always looking for an audience to get their eyes on something you just made to get feedback,” Kredell said.

Graduate student Natasha Ritsma and the Underground/City Lights Films Series are responsible for bringing Talking Walls to IU.

The film series is run by Ritsma and other communications and culture graduate students.

“(The series) focuses on historical and contemporary avant-garde, experimental and cult films and other media,” Ritsma said. 

Short-film showing
Who: Brendan Kredell and Tom Bailey showcase three of their films
When: 7 p.m. Friday
Where: Radio and Television Building Room 231, 1229 E. Seventh St.
More info: Underground/City Lights puts on films every other Friday night at 7 p.m. in the Radio and Television building. For more information on tonight’s screening and future showings, go to www.indiana.edu/~uground.