Tuesday, Oct. 1

Hairspray tackles social issues with songs

After 16 months of begging, students and community members tapped their toes again to the Tony Award-winning musical Hairspray at the one-time-only performance Tuesday night.

Audiences watched as Tracy and the gang rocked out on stage with big voices and big hair. The musical, although colorful and bright, tackled social issues of the 1960s, such as segregation and body image.

“With nearly a sold out house and a very talented cast, the audience seemed energized by the overall experience,” IU Auditorium Director Doug Booher said in an e-mail.

Tracy Turnblad, played by Brooklynn Pulver, is an overweight teen whose only dream is to dance on the “Corny Collins Show.” Once Corny Collins, played by Sean Zimmerman, gave her the part on his show, she soon realized her journey had only begun.

“I’ve seen the show before,” sophomore Carly Valfer said. “I saw it in New York, and it’s just as good.”

Jerry O’Boyle played the famous Edna Turnblad. The actor’s deep voice and comedic persona kept the audience laughing.

The cast performed the musical’s hit songs, such as “Good Morning Baltimore” and “You Can’t Stop the Beat” along with the rest of the score of songs.

The musical ended with confetti, standing ovations and Tracy telling Hoosiers to get up and dance.

Early this morning, the cast left for Ohio, Booher said. From there, they will perform for 13 audiences in 13 days.

“I thought they did a great job,” sophomore Justin Krachmalnick said. “The singing was amazing.”

To top off the evening, every audience member received a complementary gift bag with a small bottle of hairspray.

The hairspray gift bag was a gift from Pendlebury Hair Studio, Booher said. It served as a thank you for audience members who attended the show.