Tuesday, Oct. 1

Historic site supplies Halloween festivities

Autumn is the season of legends.

In Brown County, a legend dwells on the T.C. Steele Historic Site.

This Friday, the site will host a ghost tour to pay homage to Halloween and the alleged presence of the late artist Theodore Clement Steele’s ghost.

“I really want (this event) to tie in a lot of different themes, including art,” said Christine Atkinson, the arts program director for the site. Since gaining her position, Atkinson has  worked hard to promote the historic location and foster awareness of its many programs.

Atkinson said this event will be an all-ages celebration of Halloween traditions, including ghost tours of the site’s cemetery and gardens, gourd painting with artist Charlotte Gore and views of historic rooms never seen by the public.

Some IU student volunteers will be on site dressed as ghosts.

Of course, Atkinson said she is doubtful these costumed actors will be the only specters roaming the grounds.

“There is some lore of ghosts on the site,” she said. “T.C. Steele did actually die in the house, so there may be some spirits present.”

In addition to these events, the Brown County Public Library will host a ghost story theater on site, complete with professional storytellers.

Library Director Yvonne Oliger said the story telling will be set in a theatrical atmosphere, complete with dramatic dialogue between two different readers. Throughout the night, the tales will rotate from different categories according to age group.

“For a lot of listeners, there is anticipation when listening and an excitement that you know what will happen, but maybe then something will change,” said Oliger, who will be one of the two readers.

In addition to recounting the classics, Atkinson said she hopes there will be an emphasis on Indiana lore and legend.

“Often, there’s a lesson to be learned from what’s come before,” Oliger said.

Atkinson said she hopes this event will foster new interest in the historic site and build a following for future events.

“T.C. Steele had a strong affiliation with the University,” Atkinson said. “We’d like to attract more IU students to the site.”

The late artist T.C. Steele taught in the IU art department for three years, and several of his paintings are still on display in the Indiana Memorial Union.

The property itself is the 211-acre home of the late artist, who used the site as a model for some of his most famous works. The ground features five hiking trails and is free to the public.

“We’re hoping to create an annual event,” Atkinson said.