Saturday, Oct. 12

Hoosiers head east

The IU club hockey team travels to Dayton, Ohio, this weekend to take on the Wright State Raiders. Both teams go into the game undefeated.

The Hoosiers are 2-0 after sweeping Kentucky last weekend, while the Raiders are 1-0 after beating Dayton 4-3.

IU defeated Kentucky 5-3 in Bloomington on Friday and 5-4 at Kentucky on Saturday.
The play in Friday’s game was intense and aggressive, and there was a minor fight in the second period that was quickly broken up. The leading scorer in the game, junior center Joe Fornari, had a goal and two assists. 

“I thought we played great,” Fornari said of the weekend. “We got it going right off the bat and didn’t quit.”

While most hockey games are physical, a rivalry provides an exceptional level of vigor and intensity.

“It’s aggressive, especially against Kentucky. They’re one of our main rivals,” Fornari said. “This is good hockey. I don’t care what anyone says.”

Defenseman Nick White scored the first goal of the game on his birthday, something he called “icing on the cake.”

“The win is the most important thing though,” White said.

White’s goal came just over two minutes into the game, but Kentucky hit back with two goals in the next five minutes to take the lead.

IU scored two more goals before the end of the first period, and added an additional two in the second period to take a 5-2 lead. Kentucky scored the only goal of the third period, as aggressiveness picked up considerably.

“Midway through the third period, everyone was hitting everyone,” White said. “But it’s just part of the game, you’ve just got to play through that.”

IU coach Tom Orr said the Hoosiers had not lost to Kentucky since 1970. With a long losing streak on their side, Kentucky seemed fired up. The first four penalties of the game were against the Hoosiers, something Orr said led to Kentucky’s early lead. Still, the Hoosiers overcame.

“We showed we have a lot of confidence in our team,” he said. “They fought a little harder than Kentucky for the win at the end.”

On Saturday night, the team traveled to Lexington, Ky., to play the Wildcats at their home arena in a game that started at midnight. IU won the game 5-4 with help from Fornari, who had two goals in the game to follow up his Friday performance.

Orr said the bars in the area close at midnight, and they bus people directly from the bars to the game.

“It was something else,” Orr said. “It was a pretty crazy game.”

The first-year coach said the arena was packed, but there were no major problems with the fans.

“Some were profane, but most were just good-spirited hockey fans,” he said.
The Hoosiers now prepare for Wright State, a team that won the 2005-2006 ACHA Division III championship before moving up to Division II. Despite being champion in a lower division, Orr said he recognizes the strength the Raiders bring.

“They have a real up-and-coming program,” Orr said. “They’re a team people are starting to talk about, and they’re looking for that big upset to put them on the map. Since we were in the championship last year they’ll be looking to beat us.”

Orr feels his team has more depth and that it will be the key to winning the games this weekend. Fornari will certainly come to Wright State with some momentum on his side.

“I think he’s one of the guys that’s really stepped up as far as scoring this season,” Orr said. “It’s been a lot of fun to watch.”

After sophomore goalie Justin Lincoln started last Friday’s game against the Wildcats, fellow sophomore netminder Jason Burriss took over the position the following day. Orr will keep the carousel going, starting junior Sal Calace this week. 

That many goalie changes might seem more like the pitching rotations in baseball, but Orr thinks it will be beneficial in the early season.

“Early on, you want to get a look at other guys to see how they’ll do down the stretch,” he said. “They’re all really good goalies, and we can win with anyone.”