Saturday, Oct. 12

Hoosiers snap scoreless streak but go 0-2 in weekend’s games

Coming into the weekend’s match-ups with Wisconsin and Northwestern, the IU women’s soccer team was still looking for its first conference win.

Without two of their starting forwards, things where complicated for the Hoosiers. Junior Liz Holby, who leads the team in points and goals, and freshman Carly Samp did not play because of injuries.

“It was a challenge playing without those two, especially since we had been struggling to score goals,” IU coach Mick Lyon said. “With those two out, players knew they had to step up. Both (Devon) Beach, and (Leigh Anne) Cummings did tremendous, and (Jocelyn) Moses did a great job as well.”

Two goals in the final minutes of each game doomed the Hoosiers (5-10-0, 0-6-0), as Wisconsin squeaked by them 1-0 on Friday, and Northwestern won 2-1 Sunday.

“Being shorthanded played a part in the giving up the goals,” Lyon said. “We know, though, the last five minutes is a crucial part of the game. I feel we haven’t given away any goals, we have just been terribly unlucky in some cases.

We had great opportunities in the first half against Wisconsin, and against Northwestern we were the much stronger team; just the last five minutes I think we got fatigued.”

IU lost its fifth consecutive game Friday night against Wisconsin by the score of 1-0. The Hoosiers were just 1:20 from reaching the overtime period against the Badgers until forward Taylor Walsh scored her seventh goal of the season to edge the Hoosiers. Walsh’s goal came off a rebound she was able to knock into the back of the net.

Before the game-winning goal in the 89th minute, freshman goalkeeper Lindsey Campbell made three consecutive saves in the 74th, 75th and 77th minutes of play, as the Badgers turned up their offensive attack. Campbell finished the game with five saves.

The first half was when the Hoosiers had their chances to score, putting five of their total six shots on goal in the opening half. Junior Kristin Arnold’s corner kick in the fourth minute of the game to Cummings went just high. Beach had a goal-scoring opportunity in the first half, but her shot on goal in the 30th minute was handled by the Wisconsin keeper.

In Sunday’s game, after getting down in the first half due to forward Jenny Dunn’s third goal of the season, IU answered, scoring its first goal in 506 minutes of play. Beach scored her fourth goal of the season, by beating Northwestern defenders to net the equalizer.

“I was shocked kind of,” Beach said. We hadn’t scored in so long, everyone was really excited. It felt like things were going to start going our way.”

However, the Wildcats answered in the 87th minute with a goal to narrowly beat the Hoosiers.

Campbell was again the hard-luck losing goalkeeper making four saves. Campbell won her first career start for the Hoosiers earlier in the season, but has lost all her other starts all by one goal.

“It is tough,” Campbell said. “I feel (we) have been playing pretty well, but you can’t be extremely perfect every game.”

The Hoosiers return to action 7:30 p.m. Friday at Bill Armstrong Stadium to take on rival Purdue.